Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Will I have to fund my course myself if I drop out of one to start another (Scotland)

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    On the grounds of some mental health problems I've faced throughout my first year of uni, I have decided I want to drop out of my course. Not only am I completely out of touch with the course and subjects (Social Sciences), I don't like the university itself.
    I intend on applying as a late applicant through UCAS for a new course however I don't really know what I am doing.
    Will SAAS make me pay back what I took out in tuition fees/student loans this year because I am going to drop out (I haven't actually dropped out yet, just not been in 7ish months and haven't sat any exams)?

    I'm really worried about funding as money is tight with me right now as it is with so many outgoings like car insurance, petrol, phone bill, etc.

    I have been avoiding thinking about my whole university/life situation like the plague as it causes me so much stress to think about it, I turn erratic and destructive when I get into thinking about the mess I have gotten myself into. I haven't yet actually sought medical attention for what is wrong with me, only had one appointment where the doctor suggested that I suffer from long-term depression and anxiety. Personally I think there's more to it, possibly borderline or bipolar, I just really want help with whatever it wrong with me too,

    Also, on my UCAS application, will I apply as an individual? or through my school that I went to before starting this uni course.

    And would I put my unfinished year of uni on my education tab on my UCAS application?

    I need so much help haha, any advice would be appreciated.

    If you have only done one year at uni, you will be able to get funding for all years of a new degree. If you need to in future (e.g. if you need to retake a year) you can claim your first year of entitlement back through the Compelling Personal Reasons process. You would need proof that you were forced to leave your first course due to health problems e.g. a letter from GP/counsellor etc. I would strongly advise seeking medical help as soon as possible, for this reason if nothing else.

    You will have to repay the loans you've already had. However if you tell your current uni that you're leaving as late as possible over the summer, then you will only have to repay under the normal conditions e.g. as deductions from future wages once you earn over the threshold. I'm quite surprised that the uni hasn't withdrawn you after 7 months of no coursework/exams, but that's up to them.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.