The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Chances for UCL economics?

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Joiner
Hi, I know it's hard to say how likely someone is of getting an offer but any attempts would be really appreciated as i need help deciding on uni choices..
I got 10A* at GCSE, if all goes well this year 3A's at AS and should have at least A*AA predicted,
In terms of subjects do Maths, Economics Geography and AS Further Maths (and an AS in French)

Would I be likely to get an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely! As much as people bang on about personal statements, unless you're applying to Oxbridge or for medicine/dentistry, universities will give you an offer if your predicted grades meet typical entry requirements. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Sacred Ground
Definitely! As much as people bang on about personal statements, unless you're applying to Oxbridge or for medicine/dentistry, universities will give you an offer if your predicted grades meet typical entry requirements. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! So you don't think that me doing only AS Further Maths will be too much of a hindrance?

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much! So you don't think that me doing only AS Further Maths will be too much of a hindrance?

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

dont get worked up about only having AS, AS is more than enough.
I've kind of already mentioned it previously, but doing further maths A-level is highly recommended if not obligatory if you have the possibility to do it - pretty much everyone who got an offer has done FM
Reply 5
Original post by lolatmaths
dont get worked up about only having AS, AS is more than enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all - if it's not listed under typical entry requirements, it's not necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Not at all - if it's not listed under typical entry requirements, it's not necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get your point but this directly contradicts what 'Metrododo' is saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Metrododo is simply scaremongering, he hasn't even provided sources of this supposedly 'most people who get offers have an A2 further maths.' Entry requirements simply states A* in maths and an A in economics if offered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/economics-bsc-econ-hons/university-college-london-university-of-london/cd/54961928/4094/

Load of rubbish. 49% dont even have further maths. AS further maths will more than suffice.
Reply 10
(null)surely the fact that he is a maths professor may introduce an element of bias? And this may not be reflective of the UCL's wider attitude to further maths

However I do agree with your argument and I fully understand that further maths is advantageous but obviously I'm not really able to change my circumstances

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I know it's hard to say how likely someone is of getting an offer but any attempts would be really appreciated as i need help deciding on uni choices..
I got 10A* at GCSE, if all goes well this year 3A's at AS and should have at least A*AA predicted,
In terms of subjects do Maths, Economics Geography and AS Further Maths (and an AS in French)

Would I be likely to get an offer?

Yes, as long as you:
- Get those 3 As in AS
- Do AS FM (If your doing it this year make sure you get an A) If your doing it next year the grade won't matter as it won't be part of the offer.
- Get at least an A*AA prediction, preferably with (one of) the A*(s) in Maths
- Write a decent personal statement

I'd say you have a pretty good shot at an offer. You won't need A2 FM, I got in without it so you should probably too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lolatmaths
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/economics-bsc-econ-hons/university-college-london-university-of-london/cd/54961928/4094/

Load of rubbish. 49% dont even have further maths. AS further maths will more than suffice.

Fair enough, although it is still highly recommended according to the main admissions' tutor at the offer day (who's the math prof) - but I think he should apply by all means and has a very decent chance
Reply 13
Original post by Economistician
Yes, as long as you:
- Get those 3 As in AS
- Do AS FM (If your doing it this year make sure you get an A) If your doing it next year the grade won't matter as it won't be part of the offer.
- Get at least an A*AA prediction, preferably with (one of) the A*(s) in Maths
- Write a decent personal statement

I'd say you have a pretty good shot at an offer. You won't need A2 FM, I got in without it so you should probably too.

Thanks very much, with regard to the predictions, am I right in thinking if I'm not predicted an A* in maths I would effectively have no chance as its a requirement for this course?

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks very much, with regard to the predictions, am I right in thinking if I'm not predicted an A* in maths I would effectively have no chance as its a requirement for this course?

Cheers

I would think so, but you'd have to follow that up with UCL to make sure. BTW, remember predictions are not set in stone. If you're not predicted the A* but you think you can get it, then by all means speak with your teachers and ask them to change it. I was initially predicted an A for some reason (got over 90% at AS) but got it changed to an A* relatively easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering UCL Economics has 11 applicants per place (to put this in perspective cambridge economics is 7 applicants per place, and that it the highest applicants to places ratio across ALL cambridge courses, even medicine is 'only' 6 applicants per place) and most applicants will be predicted the standard offer or above, it really isn't going to be that simple.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Considering UCL Economics has 11 applicants per place (to put this in perspective cambridge economics is 7 applicants per place, and that it the highest applicants to places ratio across ALL cambridge courses, even medicine is 'only' 6 applicants per place) and most applicants will be predicted the standard offer or above, it really isn't going to be that simple.

Apps to place is meaningless, apps to offer is a better indicator. You can find apps to offer data on whatuni and which? uni.
Reply 17

So from this I can draw the conclusion that I have no chance? Right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So from this I can draw the conclusion that I have no chance? Right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please. Lose. The. Insecurity. It. Is. Painful. To. Read.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Source please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending