The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths 5 Markers (eek)

So, I kinda cocked up some questions, easy questions, on the Edexcel Maths Higher paper, and I'm really aiming for an A* (82+) and have realised I've made some stupid stupid stupid mistakes on the exam, but I was wondering if I would get any compensation for method marks.

On Question 7, (floor + varnish = broke woman), I stupidly did 6x10 and added those to the 2.5x2 sections. So I still got the same answer, would I get any marks for this, if I calculated the 2 small sections?

On Question 22, I solved it as only X = 6 and didn't put X = -2, any marks?

Finally on Question 25 I got over-excited with my surds and simplified it down to 2 = -2√2, after going past the answer (don't ask). Would I get any marks?

With this, and an ultimate failure on circle theorems, I work it out as 79. Can anyone tell me if I'll get any more marks for these mistakes?
Reply 1
Original post by anonymouse0
So, I kinda cocked up some questions, easy questions, on the Edexcel Maths Higher paper, and I'm really aiming for an A* (82+) and have realised I've made some stupid stupid stupid mistakes on the exam, but I was wondering if I would get any compensation for method marks.

On Question 7, (floor + varnish = broke woman), I stupidly did 6x10 and added those to the 2.5x2 sections. So I still got the same answer, would I get any marks for this, if I calculated the 2 small sections?

Finally on Question 25 I got over-excited with my surds and simplified it down to 2 = -2√2, after going past the answer (don't ask). Would I get any marks?

With this, and an ultimate failure on circle theorems, I work it out as 79. Can anyone tell me if I'll get any more marks for these mistakes?

Well luckily GCSE marking is pretty generous when it comes to this kind of thing, for question 22 finding 1 x value is going to get some marks depending on how much it's out of and q25 extra working as long as it's correct may be given full marks (if it's incorrect then they might take 1 or 2 away but as long as you got to the answer at some point using a right method you will get some marks.

Question 7 you will probably get 1/0 marks.

So it is entirely possible for you to get an A* from these method marks but it depends on the harshness on the marking. I think you might scrape an A* personally.
Reply 2
Original post by Dowel
Well luckily GCSE marking is pretty generous when it comes to this kind of thing, for question 22 finding 1 x value is going to get some marks depending on how much it's out of and q25 extra working as long as it's correct may be given full marks (if it's incorrect then they might take 1 or 2 away but as long as you got to the answer at some point using a right method you will get some marks.

So it is entirely possible for you to get an A* from these method marks but it depends on the harshness on the marking. I think you might scrape an A* personally.

There was this factorising a quadratic expression question further in the paper but I forgot to take way x^2 but added x^2 instead. Anyway I got a different quadratic equation and solved it correctly. Would I get full 3 marks?
Reply 3
Original post by Rajive
There was this factorising a quadratic expression question further in the paper but I forgot to take way x^2 but added x^2 instead. Anyway I got a different quadratic equation and solved it correctly. Would I get full 3 marks?

you would get two marks for that, do you know how many marks the other questions you got wrong were?
Reply 4
Original post by Dowel
you would get two marks for that, do you know how many marks the other questions you got wrong were?

Now that I think about, my whole paper was full of stupid mistakes, there was an estimate the solutions graphically question and instead I completed the square and solved both of them in surd form. I just panicked because I didn't know what to do. That was 3 marks btw. The question 7 about varnish I messed up because I worked out the area correctly but I added wrongly together which made my QWC wrong which means I am hoping to get 2/5 marks. The circle theorems one I should get 3/5. But other than that, I could have gotten 80+. But I am most probably going to get about 67.
Reply 5
Original post by Rajive
Now that I think about, my whole paper was full of stupid mistakes, there was an estimate the solutions graphically question and instead I completed the square and solved both of them in surd form. I just panicked because I didn't know what to do. That was 3 marks btw. The question 7 about varnish I messed up because I worked out the area correctly but I added wrongly together which made my QWC wrong which means I am hoping to get 2/5 marks. The circle theorems one I should get 3/5. But other than that, I could have gotten 80+. But I am most probably going to get about 67.

Are you planning on doing further maths next year?
Also if you worked out the area correctly on that question you will probably get 2/3 i would say maybe 4 if they are super generous.
An A in gcse maths is pretty good, not many people get A* and therefore an A* doesn't give you much of an advantage apart from you may not be allowed to do further maths with just an A or you might find it difficult to do.
Reply 6
Original post by Dowel
Also if you worked out the area correctly on that question you will probably get 2/3 i would say maybe 4 if they are super generous.
An A in gcse maths is pretty good, not many people get A* and therefore an A* doesn't give you much of an advantage apart from you may not be allowed to do further maths with just an A or you might find it difficult to do.

God forbid. No way Further maths:u:. But definitely maths though, the sixth form I want to got specifies an Aat GCSE which is fine for me seeming that I was in a B at start Of year 11. Hopefully I have generous examiner.

I got the same as you for question 7.

I was panicking so much since it was a 5 marker. My teacher had the paper and I asked him he said I will get 4 out of 5 marks as the examiner will see that it was a silly mistake (If your working out is legible)

Worst case scenario he said 3 out of 5 marks.
Reply 8
Original post by Dowel

Do you think I will be at a disadvantage with an A in maths for Maths next year?
Reply 9
Original post by Rajive
Do you think I will be at a disadvantage with an A in maths for Maths next year?

There are a few people who did it with B's in my year but most people who do it got an A too so you won't be any weaker than any of them. You can easily get an A/A* in A level maths as long as you work hard.
Original post by Dowel

That's really assuring, thank you :smile:

Gonna really try my best in the calculator paper and end up with an A*!
I guess I can say this is a good start?
Original post by Federerr
I got the same as you for question 7.

I was panicking so much since it was a 5 marker. My teacher had the paper and I asked him he said I will get 4 out of 5 marks as the examiner will see that it was a silly mistake (If your working out is legible)

Worst case scenario he said 3 out of 5 marks.

I have this awful habit that my maths teacher always laughs at me for (I don't like him) of just mis-reading the stupidest questions and making the worst mistakes, although I can answer most of the higher tier questions without too much concentration. That's relieving to hear I'll still get some marks, I can't go and speak to my maths teacher about it because he'll laugh at me and make me feel even worse!
Reply 12
That's really assuring, thank you :smile:

Gonna really try my best in the calculator paper and end up with an A*!
I guess I can say this is a good start?

Definitely if your hoping for an A, if you want an A* you just need to do well in the calculator paper but I would call it a good start :smile:
Original post by Dowel
Definitely if your hoping for an A, if you want an A* you just need to do well in the calculator paper but I would call it a good start :smile:

For my Sixth Form, I technically only need an A in maths, and the equivalent to 45 points on the basis of A*=8, A=7 and so forth out of your top 7 exams, which will be pretty easy.
But it's gonna be all the top kids in the country applying so it'd be much more relieving to get one up on them :smile:
Reply 14
For my Sixth Form, I technically only need an A in maths, and the equivalent to 45 points on the basis of A*=8, A=7 and so forth out of your top 7 exams, which will be pretty easy.
But it's gonna be all the top kids in the country applying so it'd be much more relieving to get one up on them :smile:

Well hopefully the marking will be generous for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest