The Student Room Group

Is it selfish that I'd prefer to marry a French lass?

I don't know what it is about them, but, for the most part, they have an aura of sophistication and femeninity.

I do speak fluent french, so the language barrier is simply not there, and it would be nice to settle down in France - a country I love.

I'm just wondering whether this is selfish in the sense that I'm not looking to marry someone who lives in my own country?

I get a feeling that people think so, especially if you have a preference.

Scroll to see replies

There are billions of people in the world. It's not remotely selfish.
Reply 2
Why would it be selfish to be attracted to people from a certain country?

It's just called having a preference
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
Why would it be selfish to be attracted to people from a certain country?

It's just called having a preference

Much like having a preference for a race, people complain that it's "racist" or whatever.
Reply 4
Original post by The Roast
Much like having a preference for a race, people complain that it's "racist" or whatever.

That's rather silly to be honest. You can like anyone you want
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
That's rather silly to be honest. You can like anyone you want

I know I can, but several mop heads have told me it isn't right. It's frustrating, but I really shouldn't let it get to my head.
I know I can, but several mop heads have told me it isn't right. It's frustrating, but I really shouldn't let it get to my head.

Why do you care about what others think? Are they paying your bills?
Reply 7
Original post by phunky_fresh
Why do you care about what others think? Are they paying your bills?

Haha! No they're not.

Yeah I know I shouldn't care, but some people do think it's a bit off.
You can like whoever you want to like. Just don't be an idiot about it, saying things such as: "I only like x girls, y girls are all ugly without question" is when people complain about xenophobia/racism.
Reply 9
i am confident that millions of English girls are delighted to have avoided the possibility of your attentions and wish you all the best in your quest for a French wife

crack on
Reply 10
Original post by Pariah
i am confident that millions of English girls are delighted to have avoided the possibility of your attentions and wish you all the best in your quest for a French wife

crack on

I'm sure you mean millions of English guys... you know, less competition.
Selfish is an odd word to use in this context; as if marrying a British woman would somehow make you 'generous'.

Do what makes you happy. Something tells me that British women will survive either way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ayyy go for it dude!
P.S: Je suis française:wink:
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Ayyy go for it dude!
P.S: Je suis française:wink:

T'es ciblée, fais gaffe :wink:
I don't know what it is about them, but, for the most part, they have an aura of sophistication and femeninity.

I do speak fluent french, so the language barrier is simply not there, and it would be nice to settle down in France - a country I love.

I'm just wondering whether this is selfish in the sense that I'm not looking to marry someone who lives in my own country?

Thats not selfish at alllllll idk how someone could think thats selfish
Reply 15
Original post by Shumaya
Selfish is an odd word to use in this context; as if marrying a British woman would somehow make you 'generous'.

Do what makes you happy. Something tells me that British women will be survive either way.

I'm sure you mean I will, what have British women got to do with this thread?
I'm sure you mean I will, what have British women got to do with this thread?

My bad, I assumed you were in the UK.

My comment stands regardless of which country you live in though. Just replace 'British women' with 'the women in your country'.

It's not selfish mate. Go for it.
Sounds good until you look under their armpits.
Seeing the way France is going i'd start learning Arabic mate.

Quick Reply

Latest