The Student Room Group

Business graduate, non-science degree - medical programs to consider

Hi All,

I know people have been posting about graduate entry medicine programs in general.

At this point, I'm interested in any - 5 or 4 year UKCAT programs.

I graduated from high school with a 39 in IB, four HLs, Chem (7), Biology (6), Math (6), Eng (5).

I know these meet entry requirements, but these are grades from 8 years ago,went through the military, have a business degree in a top US business school, and a management consulting work experience background.

I have many healthcare related experiences since I was in high school - volunteer work at hospitals, shadowing, working in Rehab facilities over the summer, volunteered in day cares assisting teachers with children, but nothing much in the last two years.

Assuming I've a good UKCAT, is my situation frowned upon? Anyone know people or are in similar situations who have been successful? Any school recommendations?
Reply 1
Original post by rayrk
Hi All,

I know people have been posting about graduate entry medicine programs in general.

At this point, I'm interested in any - 5 or 4 year UKCAT programs.

I graduated from high school with a 39 in IB, four HLs, Chem (7), Biology (6), Math (6), Eng (5).

I know these meet entry requirements, but these are grades from 8 years ago,went through the military, have a business degree in a top US business school, and a management consulting work experience background.

I have many healthcare related experiences since I was in high school - volunteer work at hospitals, shadowing, working in Rehab facilities over the summer, volunteered in day cares assisting teachers with children, but nothing much in the last two years.

Assuming I've a good UKCAT, is my situation frowned upon? Anyone know people or are in similar situations who have been successful? Any school recommendations?

What you didn't mention is what is your grade from your degree. while your IB may meet the entry requirement, med schools place more of an emphasis on your degree, and if your degree grades don't meet the requirement, it doesn't matter if your IB meet the requirement for the 5 year course, becuase you're a graduate.
Even if you apply to a 5 year course, you'll be a graduate applying to a 5 year course which means they still look at your degree grade.
But it shouldn't really matter when you did your degree etc... And you'd probably have to message the universities individually to find out what their entry requirement is for you since american universities go by GPA (I believe?). While it may be disappointing for you, where you did your first degree doesn't mattter, provided you meet the minimum cut off grades...

But why are you only looking at UKCAT schools? That SEVERELY limits your choices espeically becuase you haven't got a science background. There are only 7 schools that don't require a science degree, and newcastle is knocked off since you haven't got " evidence of sustained academic endeavour within the past three years", Nottingham, St georges and Swansea are knocked off since you're not doing GAMSAT. Also Cambridge normally requires Alevels (Or IB in your case) to be within 7 years...
This only leaves Southampton and Warwick left, and that's even if you meet their requirements.

I've attached a link with more information on the entry requirement for graduates (including information for 5 year programmes- which essentially is the same requirements, but in 5 year programmes)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Freyr
What you didn't mention is what is your grade from your degree. while your IB may meet the entry requirement, med schools place more of an emphasis on your degree, and if your degree grades don't meet the requirement, it doesn't matter if your IB meet the requirement for the 5 year course, becuase you're a graduate.
Even if you apply to a 5 year course, you'll be a graduate applying to a 5 year course which means they still look at your degree grade.
But it shouldn't really matter when you did your degree etc... And you'd probably have to message the universities individually to find out what their entry requirement is for you since american universities go by GPA (I believe?). While it may be disappointing for you, where you did your first degree doesn't mattter, provided you meet the minimum cut off grades...

But why are you only looking at UKCAT schools? That SEVERELY limits your choices espeically becuase you haven't got a science background. There are only 7 schools that don't require a science degree, and newcastle is knocked off since you haven't got " evidence of sustained academic endeavour within the past three years", Nottingham, St georges and Swansea are knocked off since you're not doing GAMSAT. Also Cambridge normally requires Alevels (Or IB in your case) to be within 7 years...
This only leaves Southampton and Warwick left, and that's even if you meet their requirements.

I've attached a link with more information on the entry requirement for graduates (including information for 5 year programmes- which essentially is the same requirements, but in 5 year programmes)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide

Thanks for the response.

Yes I believe I've met the GPA cut offs too - above 3.6. (2:1 as you call it?)

Aiming for UKCAT schools this entry as I don't have enough time to get ready for the others. That would have be the next step for next year's application.

How about other schools that accept graduates to five year programs? I was looking at schools like Southampton, Bristol, Aberdeen and KCL. They seem to not have clear words saying I'm in a bad position but aren't explicit enough to say that my age and IB grades / relevant work experience are way too old to be looked at.

Quick Reply

Latest