The Student Room Group

Why does everyone listen to bad music?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Middriver
Drake or Quentin Miller? :smile:

Drake

(Not really listened to Quentin Miller :colondollar:)
Original post by Wilfred Little
tfw people talk about things they know nothing about.

Im making a generalisation. Music is ultimately opinionated. Someone can make a comment about something like rap or pop and we can pluck good songs too.

But what im asking is what makes rock and metal so special?
Original post by kkboyk
Same reason what makes every other genre special. They all essentially the same tbh. Though however, I tend to find rock and metal to have far more variation than pop.

Again, music is completely subjective. from what ive listened to they all sound the same (however i do like the new red hot chilli peppers album, sounds different)
Reply 23
I used to be a bit of a musical elitist but it's just funny to me now. If I liked a Justin Bieber song (don't think I have yet, unless I didn't notice, but there's time), then that'd be fine with me. Adherence to a narrow range of genres is the weirdest tendency to me. Granted a lot of mainstream music nowadays is a bit dull/uninspired, and I can understand time-frame-based tendencies but in terms of genre you can find something valuable in almost all of them
Original post by lolatmaths
Im making a generalisation. Music is ultimately opinionated. Someone can make a comment about something like rap or pop and we can pluck good songs too.

But what im asking is what makes rock and metal so special?

I don't really care about whether you think it's special or not. That's your opinion.

You said all rock and metal is full of shouting and you are wrong.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
No interest in joining the angsty teen 'my music is better than your music' thing, but you sound like you're on about screamo, which I also feel is pretty ****. You wanna listen to some proper metal; Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are the best imo.

[video="youtube;NOk0mkwnmZQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOk0mkwnmZQ[/video]

Im not part of the "my music is better than your music" thing. Im just simply asking why OP thinks rock and metal is somehow so special.
Reply 26
I don't really care about whether you think it's special or not. That's your opinion.

You said all rock and metal is full of shouting and you are wrong.

To be fair, there is quite a lot of shouting going on. Not every song or every band, but quite a lot and most of the bands you named are quite fond of shouting :wink:
Im not part of the "my music is better than your music" thing. Im just simply asking why OP thinks rock and metal is somehow so special.

That would be because OP is doing the angsty teen 'my music is better than your music thing' :facepalm: Heavy rock and metal doesn't chart these days, so if you listen to it, that makes you edgy and all. I wasn't defending the OP, just defending the honour of a perfectly good genre :tongue:

Also, not everyone who listens to rock/metal does the musical superiority thing, honest! I love heavy metal, but can also dig some T Swizzle.
Original post by offhegoes
To be fair, there is quite a lot of shouting going on. Not every song or every band, but quite a lot and most of the bands you named are quite fond of shouting :wink:

You realise though that 'rock' is a ridiculously broad term don't you? Do you have any idea how many genres would fall under that description?

& where did I name bands?
Reply 29
You realise though that 'rock' is a ridiculously broad term don't you? Do you have any idea how many genres would fall under that description?

& where did I name bands?

Sorry thought you were OP, my bad.

And yes, I get it's a big genre with many subgenres. Many of which, as I say, feature shouting and screaming not infrequently.
Original post by ravioliyears
Ffs no one listens to bad music its just dependent on the person and what they choose to listen to.

I don't subscribe to that notion.
There exists bad music just as there exists bad stories.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
That would be because OP is doing the angsty teen 'my music is better than your music thing' :facepalm: Heavy rock and metal doesn't chart these days, so if you listen to it, that makes you edgy and all. I wasn't defending the OP, just defending the honour of a perfectly good genre :tongue:

Also, not everyone who listens to rock/metal does the musical superiority thing, honest! I love heavy metal, but can also dig some T Swizzle.

Yh typical of TSR lool

Sure, even i enjoy a bit of rock and i wouldnt say im a fan (mainly red hot chilli pepper stuff lol). Im not a metal fan though xD
Original post by MovedMasterMike
This generation of music sucks. People should be listening to good rock and metal like Staind, Korn, Rage Aginst the Machince, Deftones, Stone Temple Pilots and Metallica. Instead, people are are listening to Drake, Justin Bieber and The Weeknd which is just awful....

this guy is tripping drake and the weeknd are 2 of my favourite artists!
Original post by XOR_
I don't subscribe to that notion.
There exists bad music just as there exists bad stories.

Again its just dependent on the person and what they prefer. I story that I may dislike may be what someone likes. Not everyone has the same preferences. But that's just my opinion.
Yh typical of TSR lool

Sure, even i enjoy a bit of rock and i wouldnt say im a fan (mainly red hot chilli pepper stuff lol). Im not a metal fan though xD

3edgy5me, you don't wanna mess with these guys, they'll cut you up and all.......

Scar Tissue is RHCP right? Love that song, I played it 430 odd times on listenonrepeat on my old laptop XD

Anyone who likes rock has it in them to like some metal :tongue:
Reply 35
Music from the 90s is my fave. People/bands like MJ, Tupac, TLC, Brandy, Dr Dre, Lauryn Hill, Green Day, Mary J.Blige, Oasis, Eminem, Aaliyah etcc were just keeping it real and their songs had genuine meanings (if you listen to the lyrics properly).
That being said, I do listen to a bit of grime and k-pop here and there, everyone's taste is different and we have to learn to accept that (probably the main reason for a wide range of music genres as not everyone likes the same thing).
I can't go round saying 'rock music sucks' and expect people to agree with me if I've never really listened to it with an open mind-set.
This has nothing to do with genre, Drake just sucks.
I don't listen to heavy metal but I can respect Metallica as musicians despite not listening to them.
Original post by ravioliyears
Again its just dependent on the person and what they prefer. I story that I may dislike may be what someone likes. Not everyone has the same preferences. But that's just my opinion.

Everyone's free to their opinions yes, however that does not make a bad story good .

for instance here's a story:

A tree went bye bye, died ten times and oiled itself mental, perhaps it will find a name.

^ It's doesn't matter how much someone liked that tale i just told, it still has zero plot.
Original post by XOR_
Everyone's free to their opinions yes, however that does not make a bad story good .

for instance here's a story:

A tree went bye bye, died ten times and oiled itself mental, perhaps it will find a name.

^ It's doesn't matter how much someone liked that tale i just told, it still has zero plot.

Oh right, well yeah in that case. See now I'm contradicting my initial thought, lmao thank you
The chances of good music getting a hearing on mainstream radio reduced greatly after 26 October 2004. When John Peel died- RIP.

Quick Reply

Latest