The Student Room Group

Laptop keeps disconnecting tirelessly...

Hey Guys;

Well, this has only started happening today but, my laptop keeps disconnecting from the internet approximately every half hour... How do I stop this?

Laptop is coming up for 3 years old now and is an ASUS N56V Series.

EDIT:
Supposed to say "Wirelessly" in the title, spellcheck issues...
Check your modem/router: can you access it from the laptop? (It's probably at either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, but you can check for your router here). If you can connect to that through the drops, the problem is somewhere between it and your supplier, so ring them and complain. If not, it's on your side somewhere. Do you get the same problem on other devices connected wirelessly? If so, it's the wireless at the modem end, so ring your supplier and get a new one. Do you get the same problem if you connect with a cable from the same device? If not, your problem is with the wireless on your laptop: could be a few things, not massively easy to diagnose without seeing it: check that you aren't knocking the wireless switch, look for any error dumps from wireless drivers, etc.
Original post by BlueSam3
Check your modem/router: can you access it from the laptop? (It's probably at either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, but you can check for your router here). If you can connect to that through the drops, the problem is somewhere between it and your supplier, so ring them and complain. If not, it's on your side somewhere. Do you get the same problem on other devices connected wirelessly? If so, it's the wireless at the modem end, so ring your supplier and get a new one. Do you get the same problem if you connect with a cable from the same device? If not, your problem is with the wireless on your laptop: could be a few things, not massively easy to diagnose without seeing it: check that you aren't knocking the wireless switch, look for any error dumps from wireless drivers, etc.

I went to YouTube for a quick fixit video and it seems to have done the job except for a quick disconnection this morning (didn't disconnect at all after I switched the laptop off after performing the fixit, will see what happens in the future but it seems to be working OK now.).

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest