The Student Room Group

Does A-level Chemistry contain any biology topics?

At GCSE I only do chemistry and have been predicted an A*. I really want to do it at A-level but was wondering would not having GCSE in biology or physics put me at a disadvantage? Also I don't really like biology and quite squeamish around blood and talking about stuff like that so does the chemistry course have anything like that or is it more Maths based (I'm also doing maths at alevel).
Thanks for any help :smile:
None at all :smile:
Original post by chemnerd4life
At GCSE I only do chemistry and have been predicted an A*. I really want to do it at A-level but was wondering would not having GCSE in biology or physics put me at a disadvantage? Also I don't really like biology and quite squeamish around blood and talking about stuff like that so does the chemistry course have anything like that or is it more Maths based (I'm also doing maths at alevel).

In my opinion i would say that A level chemistry contains more maths than biology. There are a lot of calculations and rearranging equations so doing A level maths would put you at a slight advantage. i know that biology contains a lot of chemistry but there's barely any biology elements in chemistry A level. You'll be completely fine!
Original post by cbatothinkofone
None at all :smile:

Thank you! It sounds so stupid but I was so afraid to do it incase something came up and I passed out or something like I used to in high school biology lessons. Did you find it hard at a-level?
From what I've heard, it's the opposite - biology contains some chemistry topics, but chemistry does not contain any biology :smile:
Original post by Sophatella
In my opinion i would say that A level chemistry contains more maths than biology. There are a lot of calculations and rearranging equations so doing A level maths would put you at a slight advantage. i know that biology contains a lot of chemistry but there's barely any biology elements in chemistry A level. You'll be completely fine!

Thank you, I'm fine with brief mentions like blue baby syndrome for the nitrogen topic in non-metal compounds at GCSE but I think a lot of it Is my head and I over think things a lot :s-smilie:

There are some biology topics at A2 Chemistry but they're not really to do with blood. E.g. Amino acids, Proteins and Enzymes and DNA. It's more about the structure of DNA and proteins and you go into a little bit more detail on what DNA is made of etc. AS Bio will help you to understand this topic at A2 Chem but I don't think it really makes much of a difference. Yes Chemistry is more maths based. 20% of Chemistry is Maths based and 10% of Biology is Maths. So Maths A Level will definitely help you.
Thank you! It sounds so stupid but I was so afraid to do it incase something came up and I passed out or something like I used to in high school biology lessons. Did you find it hard at a-level?

Well I did OCR but I can't imagine it being any different from the other exam boards, but there was literally nothing even remotely Biology related!

I thought AS was fairly easy, but A2 really picked up. It was probably my favourite (after Biology haha), it's pretty interesting, a lot more in depth than GCSE which I enjoyed. :smile:
If you really think about it goes like this: Biology is applied chemistry - Chemistry is applied physics - Physics is applied Maths.
Someone told me this and I didn't believe them but if you think about it it makes sense definitely at A level
I got myself a 99p A*/A grade revision guide/notes of ebay and it covered my entire AS and A2 subjects and it was in note form so it was so easy to revise which made the courses so easy for me. The ebay sellers name is bargaindealsdev if you interested, you can enter it into google and it will come up and all their notes for a ton of subjects are all 99p. They also have other subjects which are good too :smile: Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest