Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving a shared car

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi everyone. So unfortunately I think I may have a speeding ticket on the way. However I am registered as an additional driver. Would the registered driver recieve the points automatically on their licence or is there a form or something that you can fill in to say that it was the additional driver speeding instead. And I understand that the fine has to come by 14 days of the offence happening otherwise you can challenge it?

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    It isn't that clear cut. The police need to process and send the Notice of Intended Prosecution so that it can be received within 14 days of the offence e.g. if they issue and send it within 13 days and it is sent by first class post, everything is good from their point of view. The registered keeper will need to let them know that you were driving and you will get the good news, however the 14 day rule willl no longer apply. If the issue date on the NIP is more than 14 days after the offence you can challenge it on that basis.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.