Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teen relationships - Your experiences

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I saw relationships at this age as nothing but hassle (I'm 17), maybe they are, but when you meet a girl who can change that opinion you know she's worth asking out. Just what should I expect if we do go out? Positives? Negatives? What do you do when you both live at home? Meeting parents? Dates? Money? Intimacy? Balancing it with work? I know it's different for everyone but any experiences are welcome cause I've never been in a relationship before, I've never even told a girl I like her. Thanks TSR!

Ultimately I'd say that relationships at this age are (for most people) less about finding "the one" and more about having fun. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 8 months- not long I know- and we rarely go on proper dates because we can't afford it as we both do A-Levels and neither of us work, so we either go to parks or have movie nights in when my parents go out for a meal.
    Meeting parents is scary, but it's not too bad as long as you remember your manners and they remember theirs. Don't be pressured into this though, do it when you feel comfortable.
    Honestly, don't think about it too much and just do what feels right! Have fun and learn along the way, that's what relationships at this age are about.

Teen relationships can work though it depends on many factors. Teen relationships have a lot going against them such as no experience, parents getting involved, trying to juggle your education and love life and then distance can be involved if either of you move for uni or college. Some teens look just for fun and that is fine as long as both parties are fine with that arrangement but some look for something more serious and from my experience, it can work.

Me and my boyfriend got together when I was 17 and he had just turned 18 and he originally didn't see the point in relationships and wasn't bothered about having a girlfriend but that changed when we got closer and we've been together 7 years now and live together and are engaged. We had typical teenage relationship problems like parents getting involved and we were a bit immature and petty at the start but we worked through it and it developed into an adult long term relationship. We all get on with your in laws now. Him and my mum get on like a house on fire and he is very close to my family and calls my grandparents his full gran and papa too. Me and his family don't really see eye to eye but we are civil now which is a lot better than it was in the past.

When we both lived at home with our parents, he would come and visit me most days after work or college since we didn't stay too far from each other and we'd be texting or on MSN (those were the days :laugh: ) from the min when we woke up until we went to bed. For dates, we used to just chill at each others houses or go for walks but proper dates were like days out in Glasgow shopping, go out for a meal, take a day trip somewhere. I never found it hard to juggle uni or college work while in a relationship and my grades have never suffered but I can imagine if you start dating very young, it can be hard to concentrate on your studies and your relationship because feelings for someone really can knock you for 6 and make you think of little else.

The negatives I have for teen dating would be the problems that can get in the way which I have mentioned above. The benefits are it can be fun and you should always seek to have as much fun as possible, gives you experience for further relationships if this one doesn't work out - both in sexual experience and just experience of being with someone. You learn a lot from yourself while in a relationship I think.

I met my boyfriend at 18 and we've had a pretty serious relationship from the start, although we were both at uni and had moved out at this point so it's probably different to your situation, but although maturity matters in a relationship, i d disagree that you couldnt find something serious if you wanted it at this age

Thanks people! Nice to hear that you can be serious or just not, and thanks for some great positives about dates and family Spock's Socks. Any more experiences are appreciated!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.