The Student Room Group

What is school life like at a comprehensive school?

I go to a grammar school which is why I am asking.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i wish i went to a grammar school, im good at english but my grammar lets me down :frown:
Reply 2
Can sometimes be a bit of luck, as the teachers range from terrible to very good. A lot of teachers aren't motivated for GCSE students or previous, but at AS/A2 only the good teachers are allowed to teach so it improves a lot.
If you have the right attitude it's fine, just takes a while to get used to what works.
I would say it depends on what kind of comprehensive school you're at. Some schools have amazing results and lots of bright pupils. However, at my school it's frustrating that you kind of get brushed away once the school is sure you'll make the C grade and won't jeopardise their '5 A*-C' rate. There is almost no extra help once you've passed the line which is annoying as a lot of us aspire for the A/A* grade but get little help for this. You're very lucky you have a place at a grammar school :smile:
It's like most types of schools to an extent, just a larger range of mixed ability pupils.
Facilities aren't always great and class sizes are bigger.
There's probably a bit more disruption, but that does depend on the area your school is in etc.

You also sound like an absolute (insert any chosen insult). You're online for god's sake, speak with some informality - you go to a grammar school (if you're using the correct meaning), you're not paying £15000 a year to go to a private school.
Reply 5
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
It's like most types of schools to an extent, just a larger range of mixed ability pupils.
Facilities aren't always great and class sizes are bigger.
There's probably a bit more disruption, but that does depend on the area your school is in etc.

You also sound like an absolute (insert any chosen insult). You're online for god's sake, speak with some informality - you go to a grammar school (if you're using the correct meaning), you're not paying £15000 a year to go to a private school.

I have edited the post as I sounded quite condescending. If you wish, I can copy the original post on here so that people know what your point was (that is, the fact that I wrote far too formally).

As a side note, I have ranted about grammar Nazis in the past.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette

I go to a private school, I would never be brave enough to go to a comprehensive school. I am curious though.
I went to one (just finished my last year there actually) and seriously cannot imagine myself going to a grammar/private school, My brother currently goes to one and it doesn't seem like a place I would fit in at.

In terms of the actual school, I can say that I enjoyed my time there and never felt like I was being ignored or anything like that. It also helped that the teachers were really helpful which was so useful (especially during A levels) I don't think going to a state school has really inhibited me from achieving well, I'm very happy with my GCSE'S/ AS levels and the uni and course that I am going to be doing next year :smile:

I guess it really does depend on the school and the type of person that you are
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by niv1234
I go to a private school, I would never be brave enough to go to a comprehensive school. I am curious though.

You're extremely lucky. I go to a grammar school just like OP where there is low class banter and a huge bunch of jip jap.

You probably have high class banter in your school.
Reply 9
The criminal underclass is what its like.
Original post by alevez2ez
You're extremely lucky. I go to a grammar school just like OP where there is low class banter and a huge bunch of jip jap.

You probably have high class banter in your school.

It's not very posh there tbh, its just really rather mediocre but I love it. Yes I know I am lucky, I only go there on a scholarship.
Original post by niv1234
It's not very posh there tbh, its just really rather mediocre but I love it. Yes I know I am lucky, I only go there on a scholarship.

You seem like an academic prodigy. Your parents probably feel truly blessed to have a genius child as their daughter.

Any tips or words of advice for me?
Reply 12
you can still do well if you're intelligent, but on average most people do incredibly poorly
Original post by alevez2ez
You seem like an academic prodigy. Your parents probably feel truly blessed to have a genius child as their daughter.

Any tips or words of advice for me?

Not really that clever. But I will try since you seem like a nice person (don't know if I will be of any real help to you though) what do you need advice on?
Original post by niv1234
Not really that clever. But I will try since you seem like a nice person (don't know if I will be of any real help to you though) what do you need advice on?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4129211

If you can cure me of this problem I will be eternally grateful to you.
Well I went to a comprehensive, nothing wrong with it, though my school was quite a bit above average, with 80% 5A* - C, with a few straught A* students. Though in the lower sets obviously you get people who don't care.
Original post by Palette

It was awful. (left 2 years ago, I have just come to the end of 6th form)

6th form is better though because people actually want to learn.

It was awful. People don't want to learn, teachers have to tie them to their chairs metaphorically by shouting at them every 5 seconds, the "good children" are fewer and get overlooked whilst the teachers attempt to restrain the constant disrupters. I don't even know why they bothered tbh, looking on social media, almost all the girls(I went to an all girls school) that were disruptive and rude and didn't want to learn are out of school and some of them are at home raising their children.

Like what was the point in disrupting my education when these people weren't going to continue with education anyway? :colonhash:Honestly state schools desperately need some reforms.
Ask yo mama :smug:
100 kids would fight over one 50p coin. Cover Teachers threw chairs at us as well.
My comprehensive school is considered 'good' and I'm glad that I went to it (I'm going to a grammar school for sixth-form). Even though the experience wasn't as good as it probably would have been if I has went to a grammar or private school, it was still pretty decent. The disruption in class was sometimes annoying, the facilities weren't very good and the people there weren't all that nice. However, it allowed me to do things academically that I don't think I would have done at a private or grammar school.

Quick Reply

Latest