The Student Room Group

Were the underclass created by capitalism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jebedee
I'm talking about capitalist greed, not criminal greed.

A true right wing government would halt all child support for families that allow truancy.

A true right wing government would halt child support period.
Income disparity equals crime.

It's no coincidence that the countries with the lowest levels of it also have the lowest crime rates.
Original post by Thomb
Does inherent greed create a criminal class?

Yes but capitalism doesn't create greed, it's a product of greed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"The Stupid Room"
Original post by Thomb
What even when it creates criminals?

You do realise crime existed before capitalism, as did the underclass?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rational discussion isn't allowed in this thread.
Original post by george-90
Rational discussion isn't allowed in this thread.

You mean this site :tongue:
Original post by the bear
:console:

Made me laugh too much.
Original post by Jammy Duel

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was gonna say this :biggrin: man needs some English history lessons...
Have you noticed that Capitalist countries seem to have far fewer poor people, and the poor people we do have are living like kings compared to the poor people in non Capitalist countries. It also seems to go hand in hand with Democracy.

Capitalism is far from a perfect system, but human beings aren't perfect. In an ideal world Communism would be great but human beings have proven that it's just not possible for humans to live that way it's a failed experiment.

There have always been people on the bottom and their have always been on top ruling over them it's the way it has always been long before capitalism. Infact since Capitalism has come to the forefront if anything that gap between the rulers and the followers has become far smaller than it has ever been before.
Original post by Jebedee
How exactly does it create criminals?

Capitalism is like an exam. In any exam there are bound to be some that fail. We don't scrap the exam, we tell people to study or shut up.

I think it is a bit more than that. I think if capitalism is like an exam, those that succeed are the ones that cheat at every opportunity. And those who do really really well bribe the exam board, then buy it and use it to their own ends.

Those that do ok work really really hard but only ever achieve a grade C, and those that fail are left to fend for themselves as best they can.
Original post by ByEeek
I think it is a bit more than that. I think if capitalism is like an exam, those that succeed are the ones that cheat at every opportunity. And those who do really really well bribe the exam board, then buy it and use it to their own ends.

Those that do ok work really really hard but only ever achieve a grade C, and those that fail are left to fend for themselves as best they can.

Oh cry me a river. Haters gon' hate, ain'ters gon ain't.

And before you start accusing me of privilege for my views, this is coming from someone from one of the lowest income areas in the UK, brought up in a council house with 2 siblings on a single minimum wage income.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
I dont alf write some ****.
Original post by Jebedee
How exactly does it create criminals?

Capitalism is like an exam. In any exam there are bound to be some that fail. We don't scrap the exam, we tell people to study or shut up.

That is ridiculous. Exams are an arbitrary measure, do you honestly imagine they are perfect in showing intelligence in all aspects and produce a perfect result? Some people get by with luck, the right question comes up or they just happened to panic revise exactly what they needed just beforehand, some people are more innately capable of passing and some cannot because whilst being in full possession of the facts they cannot write in the one prescribed style the exam demands. These are all variables in a highly fixed environment, capitalism is infinitely more complex and has infinitely more nuance to it but the point of imperfection not only stands - it is exacerbated by this.

Social circumstance influences behaviour. Being very poor and breaking rules - which is typical for those with the least in any situation as they have little to lose from minor punishments ie fines they cant pay (they have no assets), its like threatening an employee who has already handed in notice with being fired. If you imagine capitalism - even despite its part in raising the living quality for the poor - isnt responsible for this culture of 'getting money' (its no coincidence the poorest in society or people who came from such roots are obsessed more so than the general population with earning a lot of cash) then thats frankly disingenuous. Bear in mind crimes arent exclusively the preserve of one social class but rather tend to be divided by social class. White collar crime ie that which isnt really punished to the same degree is generally upper class, whereas serious crime like theft (somehow distinct from embezzlement and other white collar variants) is more seriously punished and more socially condemned - and this is partly a reflection of the groups that commit them and their social standing.

This is not an abdication of personal responsibility which is the ultimate deciding factor but if you think capitalism and class dont have a part to play then you are wrong.
Original post by Thomb
Does inherent greed create a criminal class?

Most of the Underclass aren't criminals?They are just people who are on benefits long term, either they can't find work or are badly disabled.I come from an Underclass background.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
Greed is good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anything, Capitalism created the middle and upper class.
Reply 58
Capitalism has little to do with it, greed and power have always been the demons of men capitalism just made it somewhat easier.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
That is ridiculous. Exams are an arbitrary measure, do you honestly imagine they are perfect in showing intelligence in all aspects and produce a perfect result? Some people get by with luck, the right question comes up or they just happened to panic revise exactly what they needed just beforehand, some people are more innately capable of passing and some cannot because whilst being in full possession of the facts they cannot write in the one prescribed style the exam demands. These are all variables in a highly fixed environment, capitalism is infinitely more complex and has infinitely more nuance to it but the point of imperfection not only stands - it is exacerbated by this.

Social circumstance influences behaviour. Being very poor and breaking rules - which is typical for those with the least in any situation as they have little to lose from minor punishments ie fines they cant pay (they have no assets), its like threatening an employee who has already handed in notice with being fired. If you imagine capitalism - even despite its part in raising the living quality for the poor - isnt responsible for this culture of 'getting money' (its no coincidence the poorest in society or people who came from such roots are obsessed more so than the general population with earning a lot of cash) then thats frankly disingenuous. Bear in mind crimes arent exclusively the preserve of one social class but rather tend to be divided by social class. White collar crime ie that which isnt really punished to the same degree is generally upper class, whereas serious crime like theft (somehow distinct from embezzlement and other white collar variants) is more seriously punished and more socially condemned - and this is partly a reflection of the groups that commit them and their social standing.

This is not an abdication of personal responsibility which is the ultimate deciding factor but if you think capitalism and class dont have a part to play then you are wrong.

Now you're trying to impose your equality ideology onto my analogy. I never said it was fair, life isn't fair because we're all born to different circumstances and with different abilities. If you want your children to get a better headstart than others then do the work, or your children will have to instead. But don't complain about others whose forefathers did earn the right for their children/grandchildren to be better off.

I don't know where you got that about white collar crime... I've had a family member beaten and stomped on in the street leading to his suicide where the perpetrators were out in less than 2 years, While people get way longer than that for tax evasion or possession. I would much prefer that white collar crime result in less time because it is a non violent crime. Violence makes it far worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending