Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why we should ban PE in school

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

PE was scaring.

I love doing sport. I love gyming. I love rowing. I love running.

Just the way PE lessons were run and the really awful people make it a very unpleasant experience.

(Original post by JordanHardy)
    So you don't need exercise? to learn to work as a team? to learn to be competitive? to burn off steam? to learn about fitness and how to keep a healthy body? Just because its not a written lesson, doesn't mean its not important. When are you going to need algebra or trigonometry outside school? Just because a few of you don't like it, doesn't mean it has to be banned.
    You clearly have a pro-PE view. To address some of the points that you make:
    *We do need exercise but the compulsory PE in this country means that some schools can make it into a very unpleasant experience (bullying, being unappreciated, being inferior, etc.). Especially as it is taught from a young age, it can give many people somewhat traumatic experiences, creating a lot of the anti-PE views you see here. This is why many of the advantages you've stated are only applicable to some (albeit a majority) students.
    *We never learned about fitness in my school. It might've been nice if we did.
    *You're dismissing how skewed the economy is towards getting an office-based education. Obviously, PE won't give you as many skills as maths would. And I consider money to be important - getting a PE job is either a really good hit or a depressing miss, to my knowledge.
    *You're right, pure maths has much less practical benefits. On the other hand, they give you other benefits which are, at the very least, equal to PE.
    *I don't think that it should be banned either - that would be going against the interests of...people like you. It should be improved to accommodate for all skill levels, in the direction of how maths is now (or better!).

Despite going against many of your points, I am trying to strike a neutral viewpoint. You should consider the experiences of those who don't like PE, and why they don't. I think that PE should simply be improved ultimately.

(Original post by Incongruous)
    Just the way PE lessons were run and the really awful people make it a very unpleasant experience.
    When I was in Year 11 the girls' team ended up playing dodgeball with the boys. They were throwing the balls so hard that one of them broke my finger. Teacher sent me out and carried on with the game being violent. Oh well!

Being unhealthy is also a selfish option - you're just contributing to the demise of healthy humans.

Being unhealthy is just stupid. Sorry.

Go to America, you will fit in there, I mean squeeze in there lol they're obese af I have a cousin there who is only around 10 that would make Big show look skinny

"Being healthy doesn't come from healthy foods, it comes from being free and eat whatever you like. Happiness is healthy not healthy eating"

There is nothing wrong with being fat, but making a trend and saying its better than being fit is just crossing the line

i have a really great reason for not banning it
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.