The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Hey guys

So I noticed there weren't many threads for the 3C and 4C 2016 exams. I've created this so that we can all post current news, share resources, plan essays and most of all- predict the potential questions.

Best of luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How's revision going for it? There's so much content compared to AS (to state the obvious)! It's overwhelming, I still haven't finished revising 3C even though the exam is in 2 weeks :s-smilie:
i am literally in the same predicament.. theres so much content and i still have not finished my notes!:/ how many topics r u guys revising?
an tips for AS Level politics?
Reply 4
Original post by romaiseb
How's revision going for it? There's so much content compared to AS (to state the obvious)! It's overwhelming, I still haven't finished revising 3C even though the exam is in 2 weeks :s-smilie:

Like death!!!! So much to remember!!!!! And I'm still making notes too!
Reply 5
Original post by elchapo97
i am literally in the same predicament.. theres so much content and i still have not finished my notes!:/ how many topics r u guys revising?

The content really is overwhelming and I'm still making notes too! I'm doing all 4, you?
Reply 6
Original post by elchapo97

I'm gonna revise 3 for 3C, maybe all 4 though if i have the time & for 4C I'm only gonna revise 3 topics - what about you?
Reply 7
Hey are you guys revising from the textbook? It's so dense and a lot of it is full of examples pre-2012
any thoughts on predicted questions for both units? :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by alicesarah18

Hey. No idea! Sorry
Original post by alicesarah18

For 3C I'm thinking something on primaries/nomination process

4C maybe SC nominations because of Scalia's recent death?
If it helps anybody, I've collated a list of questions I think are key and tend to come up a reasonable amount. These are for 3C:

Parties:
To what extent are the two major parties ideologically distinct from one another? (45)
Which of the two parties is more ideologically divided? (45)
Explain the main values and policies of the Democratic Party. (15)
Explain the main values and policies of the Republican Party. (15)
Explain the factors that limit the electoral impact of minor parties. (15)

Pressure Groups:
Why has the impact of professional lobbyists on policy-making in the USA been controversial? (15)
How influential are pressure groups in US politics? (45)
‘Pressure groups in the USA promote democracy and widen opportunity.’ Discuss. (45)
How and why do pressure groups attempt to influence the Senate? (15)
How and why do pressure groups attempt to influence the Supreme Court? (15)

Racial & Ethnic Politics:
Why, and to what extent, does the Republican Party oppose affirmative action? (15)
‘Racial equality in the USA remains a distant dream.’ Discuss. (45)
‘Race-based affirmative action has failed.’ Discuss. (45)

Elections & Voting:
Why are US presidential election campaigns so long? (15)
Analyse the strengths and weaknesses of the Electoral College. (15)
Analyse the significance of mid-term elections. (15)
Which groups of voters tend to support the Democratic Party, and why? (15)
Which groups of voters support the Republican Party, and why? (15)
‘The Electoral College should be replaced by a national popular vote.’ Discuss. (45)
‘The record of the incumbent is decisive in determining the outcome of presidential elections.’ Discuss. (45)
‘The system for nominating presidential candidates is in need of reform.’ Discuss (45)
To what extent do initiatives and propositions promote democracy? (15)
Why has campaign finance reform had such limited success? (15)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by antigone-
If it helps anybody, I've collated a list of questions I think are key and tend to come up a reasonable amount. These are for 3C:

Parties:
To what extent are the two major parties ideologically distinct from one another? (45)
Which of the two parties is more ideologically divided? (45)
Explain the main values and policies of the Democratic Party. (15)
Explain the main values and policies of the Republican Party. (15)

Pressure Groups:
Why has the impact of professional lobbyists on policy-making in the USA been controversial? (15)
How influential are pressure groups in US politics? (45)
‘Pressure groups in the USA promote democracy and widen opportunity.’ Discuss. (45)
How and why do pressure groups attempt to influence the Senate? (15)
How and why do pressure groups attempt to influence the Supreme Court? (15)

Racial & Ethnic Politics:
Why, and to what extent, does the Republican Party oppose affirmative action? (15)
‘Racial equality in the USA remains a distant dream.’ Discuss. (45)
‘Race-based affirmative action has failed.’ Discuss. (45)

Elections & Voting:
Why are US presidential election campaigns so long? (15)
Analyse the strengths and weaknesses of the Electoral College. (15)
Analyse the significance of mid-term elections. (15)
Which groups of voters tend to support the Democratic Party, and why? (15)
Which groups of voters support the Republican Party, and why? (15)
‘The Electoral College should be replaced by a national popular vote.’ Discuss. (45)
‘The record of the incumbent is decisive in determining the outcome of presidential elections.’ Discuss. (45)
‘The system for nominating presidential candidates is in need of reform.’ Discuss (45)
To what extent do initiatives and propositions promote democracy? (15)
Why has campaign finance reform had such limited success? (15)

Can you make one for 4C as well?? Thanks xx
Original post by haymannnnn
Can you make one for 4C as well?? Thanks xx

I'll try to get round to it tomorrow :smile:
does anyone have an essay for Affirmative action? My points are not very long, and its turning out to be a short essay...

does anyone have any examples i could add for this?
(edited 7 years ago)
How is revision going for everyone? there is a lot to remember. I am just learning essays tbh
Hello,

Hope revision is going well for everyone. I have a quick question, sorry that it's quite a silly question... Would it be possible to discuss the treatment of Muslim Americans in a race-based question? I.e. question of race being an issue in US politics. We were using related examples in class but I was thinking it wouldn't be relevant to the topic as the topic is of course about race rather than religion?

Thanks!
Below are some Essay plans I've done (still doing the 45 mark plans for unit 3 so not finished the document), not all of them are amazing because some questions are disgusting.

I also put together a document of examples, it's not all the examples you need to know but a lot of those ones are recent.

I only have Unit 3 stuff right now, I'm still working on my unit 4 ones, but seeing as unit 3 is sooner I've done a lot more.

I'll post some unit 4 stuff when I've done a bit more of it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by orangee123
Hello,

Hope revision is going well for everyone. I have a quick question, sorry that it's quite a silly question... Would it be possible to discuss the treatment of Muslim Americans in a race-based question? I.e. question of race being an issue in US politics. We were using related examples in class but I was thinking it wouldn't be relevant to the topic as the topic is of course about race rather than religion?

Thanks!

I think you definitely could but the mark scheme focuses on African-Americans, Latinos and Jews particularly so it may be worth looking over those in more detail.
Do you think it's highly likely that a pressure group 45 marker will come up since it didn't in 2015? And also a Congress one in 4c?
I hate the 45 markers so much haha :erm:

Quick Reply