The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MelissaaC
Executive orders such as cutting federal funding to abortion clinics in March 2010
as well as the DAPA act (although the supreme court are taking him to court for that now) he also resumed stem cell research
He also used the veto to eliminate the keystone pipeline and in jan 2016 he vetoed eliminate getting rid of Obamacare again. None of his vetoes have been override
Then you could mention foreign policy and talk about Libya, and how he reconvened relations with Cuba

Thanks! I think it would still be a cruel question (particularly because I could talk about Bush for hours) but I think I could cope with it now!
Reply 481
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Is there enough to talk about Obama alone being imperial? I've done the one on modern presidents being imperial, but I included both Bush and Obama. There's a lot about Obama not being imperial (2013 shutdown, watering down ACA, Guantanamo Bay is still open) but the only thing I can really get for imperial is Libya!

He's shown imperial tendencies:
- Immigration executive order and threat of executive order on gun control in 2016
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160108/obama-issues-executive-actions-on-guns

- Vetoing the Keystone Pipeline despite mass support in congress (270-152) and (62-36) (http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/obamas-abuse-of-the-veto-makes-him-an-imperialist-president/)

- Executive agreements with Iran and Cuba
(http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/09/11/iran_deal_and_executive_power_a_dangerous_precedent.html)
Original post by Pato1
He's shown imperial tendencies:
- Immigration executive order and threat of executive order on gun control in 2016
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160108/obama-issues-executive-actions-on-guns

- Vetoing the Keystone Pipeline despite mass support in congress (270-152) and (62-36) (http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/obamas-abuse-of-the-veto-makes-him-an-imperialist-president/)

- Executive agreements with Iran and Cuba
(http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/09/11/iran_deal_and_executive_power_a_dangerous_precedent.html)

Thank you!
What are the cheeks on supreme court power?
Would this be okay for What is the Bill of rights and howimportant is it
- Bill of Rights are the first 10 amendments in the constitution including freedom ofspeech, the right to bear arms and cruel and unusual punishment
- They are important because they guarantee freedom of speech
o Recently been upheld in Citizens united, a very controversial decisions
o Virtually allowed unlimited spending in elections
o As a result in the 2012 elections rich groups such as the Koch brothers have beenable to donate over $400 million to Republican campaigns through super pacs
o Controversialwith members like Bernie sanders who want to stop it, featured in campaign =important

- Important because of the right to bear arms, part of American culture for many especially in the South in states such as Texas. Also part of the media and PG's such as the NRA
o Very contentious issue and hotly debates at the moment
o Obamahas just issued executive action against guns (Jan 2016)
o Has lead to mass shootings and media coverage because of the lack of important gun restrictions
- Orlandoshooting, biggest shooting in US history, killing 50 people at a night clubo SandyHook elementary school shooting
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 486
Quick i need examples of judicial restraint!!!
National federation vs Sibelius

Original post by belagl
Quick i need examples of judicial restraint!!!
Original post by connorw77
What are the cheeks on supreme court power?

Lack of enforcement power
Congress can change the size of the court
Judges can be impeached
Decisions can be overridden by Congress
Public opinion
I feel dumb but for constituents being a factor that affects how congress vote, but my example is Elizabeth Dole failed to visit North Carolina (her state) enough as she only visited 13 days and was criticised by her constituents for doing so - was she unelected for this? Or just criticised by her constituents?
could you please kindly suggest the points and examples for president being "persuader in chief"? I am really confused .... 😞
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
I feel dumb but for constituents being a factor that affects how congress vote, but my example is Elizabeth Dole failed to visit North Carolina (her state) enough as she only visited 13 days and was criticised by her constituents for doing so - was she unelected for this? Or just criticised by her constituents?

It will have been a contributing factor I'm sure. At least according to my politics teachers you can get away with sometimes-off examples providing they're well explained. When doing a question about what affects congressional voting because of constituents, I explained how it comes down to where people are elected, using the examples of Ted Cruz of Texas being right wing and pro-life, while the Governor of New York, Pataki (a republican), supported abortion, in order to get elected in such a typically-democratic state. Despite the governor not being in congress, obviously, I explained that the electorate for NY would be the same so it shows how those in congress consider their electorate when voting on issues, even when they're technically in the same party.
Original post by Pato1
How do you know this is 2016? site says 2014

I think it's just a general overview of the spec AFAIK, which they occasionally update (like for citizens united I expect) but not necessary for each year
It will have been a contributing factor I'm sure. At least according to my politics teachers you can get away with sometimes-off examples providing they're well explained. When doing a question about what affects congressional voting because of constituents, I explained how it comes down to where people are elected, using the examples of Ted Cruz of Texas being right wing and pro-life, while the Governor of New York, Pataki (a republican), supported abortion, in order to get elected in such a typically-democratic state. Despite the governor not being in congress, obviously, I explained that the electorate for NY would be the same so it shows how those in congress consider their electorate when voting on issues, even when they're technically in the same party.

Ah thank you!! I also have some examples of senators being un elected because they were out of touch with their voters. Republican Wayne Gilchrest was defeated in 2008 because he was too liberal :smile:

Also sorry to be annoying but would the question "how are constitutional rights protected" be answered by stuff like checks and balances and separation of powers? Or would you answer it with cases whereby people's rights were protected? like US v Bond and stuff.
I think it's just a general overview of the spec AFAIK, which they occasionally update (like for citizens united I expect) but not necessary for each year

Yeah this is what i meant! my teacher is an examiner for edexcel and said they update it yearly but obviously the basis of the spec remains the same. They wouldn't give the questions away that easily...:tongue:
Ah thank you!! I also have some examples of senators being un elected because they were out of touch with their voters. Republican Wayne Gilchrest was defeated in 2008 because he was too liberal :smile:

Also sorry to be annoying but would the question "how are constitutional rights protected" be answered by stuff like checks and balances and separation of powers? Or would you answer it with cases whereby people's rights were protected? like US v Bond and stuff.

The question 'What are constitutional rights and how effectively are they enforced' we went through in class and my teacher said to talk about like the 1st amendment, 2nd amendment and then maybe the 14th and how effectively the Supreme Court have upheld the rights

I'd probably avoid that question as it just sounds awkward, but I'd go through the main amendments, probably first, second and fourteenth, and show how SCOTUS protects them - so perhaps Citizens United and Texas v. Johnson, DC v. Heller and Brown v. Board of Education.

Separation of powers might work, but I'd probably avoid it if you can remember some cases at the time.
(edited 7 years ago)

I just did; checks and balances, separation of powers, individual rights (so bill of rights) and then I may refer to federalism but not sure?! I'm sure you could mention some cases though!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending