The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

For Unit 3:
- Minor parties is extremely unlikely to come up as it came up last year, as did campaign finance reform (thank god we won't get this Q), US favourable environment for pressure groups and divisions between the parties over race and ethnic issues.
- 45 markers will likely be pressure groups/elections/race
- 15 markers likely to be 2 questions on parties - likely to be one on the Democratic party

For Unit 4:
- President or supreme court 2 15 mark questions
- Constitution and Congress definitely as 45 markers

I think they might ask something about the president's power of commander in chief , executive orders, or influence on the legislative process as 15 markers. Do you think they would ever ask about Executive agreements?
Original post by JonesyA0
For Unit 3:
- Minor parties is extremely unlikely to come up as it came up last year, as did campaign finance reform (thank god we won't get this Q), US favourable environment for pressure groups and divisions between the parties over race and ethnic issues.
- 45 markers will likely be pressure groups/elections/race
- 15 markers likely to be 2 questions on parties - likely to be one on the Democratic party

For Unit 4:
- President or supreme court 2 15 mark questions
- Constitution and Congress definitely as 45 markers

I think they might ask something about the president's power of commander in chief , executive orders, or influence on the legislative process as 15 markers. Do you think they would ever ask about Executive agreements?

President's power of commander in chief would be such a blessed question
Original post by antigone-
President's power of commander in chief would be such a blessed question

Imagine!! it hasn't come up since 2011 so i'm literally praying for it
Reply 123
Anyone else think unit 4 is miles better than unit 3?
Reply 124
What section does immigration reform fall under?
Imagine!! it hasn't come up since 2011 so i'm literally praying for it

what points would you make for this question?
Original post by Pato1
Anyone else think unit 4 is miles better than unit 3?

Yes!!! Unit 4 is so much easier to understand and all the units tie in with each other
Original post by fkaclocksx
what points would you make for this question?

The question was 'Assess the constraints on the President's role of Commander in Chief'

So you would talk about Congress' check on the presiden't power (eg - Congress has power to declare was) but how president can overcome this (gone to wars without Congress such as Iraq)

Then you could say about Congress' power of the purse and president needs funding for wars and talk about the war powers act etc...
Reply 128
[QUOTE="JonesyA0;65650815"]The question was 'Assess the constraints on the President's role of Commander in Chief'

So you would talk about Congress' check on the presiden't power (eg - Congress has power to declare was) but how president can overcome this (gone to wars without Congress such as Iraq)

Then you could say about Congress' power of the purse and president needs funding for wars and talk about the war powers act etc...[/QUOTE

Those are great points, but won't they only translate to 2 paragraphs?
Reply 129
Original post by Plast12
Below are some Essay plans I've done (still doing the 45 mark plans for unit 3 so not finished the document), not all of them are amazing because some questions are disgusting.

I also put together a document of examples, it's not all the examples you need to know but a lot of those ones are recent.

I only have Unit 3 stuff right now, I'm still working on my unit 4 ones, but seeing as unit 3 is sooner I've done a lot more.

I'll post some unit 4 stuff when I've done a bit more of it :smile:

Hello,

These are really great notes, thank you so much for posting them! :biggrin: When will you be posting Unit 4 notes? Really struggling with unit 4 :/
Original post by darkskies

So for Assess the constraints on the President’s role as commander inchief, points from the mark scheme include:
Congress has power to declare war
Congress has power of the purse
The public's opinion will also constrain him because if the public don't agree then he can't really/shouldn't really go ahead with it.
Then you could argue he isn't constrained because he can go into conflict for 90 days before congress can stop it
(I'm always scared of getting these things wrong so please correct me if I'm wrong haha)
The question was 'Assess the constraints on the President's role of Commander in Chief'

Then you could say about Congress' power of the purse and president needs funding for wars and talk about the war powers act etc...

thank you so much :smile:
sorry i'm a little confused because i have heard different things but did Congress agree to the Iraq war??
Original post by fkaclocksx
sorry i'm a little confused because i have heard different things but did Congress agree to the Iraq war??

No problems! Yeah Congress initially opposed the war (Democrats controlled Congress) and tried to stop the funding for it, but George W Bush made Congress look bad and so eventually they passed funding.
[QUOTE="darkskies;65651399"]

Then you could say about Congress' power of the purse and president needs funding for wars and talk about the war powers act etc...[/QUOTE

I'd do:

1 para on Congress' 'power to declare war' and how president circumvents this

Another para - War powers act and restrictions on drones programme

Another para - Congress' power of purse

Another para/extend a paragraph talking about the president's manipulation of the timing of Congressional authorisations
I've been homeschooling myself on politics a2 and omg im so overwhelmed!! Theres toooo much information its insane!! The textbook is so poorly written its confusing, nothing is explained clearly and theres a lot of jumping to diff points!
I've gone through the whole textbook, the annual update, the 2 student unit guides and rather than feeling ready i feel more overwhelmed and like im about to burst, nothing gets into my head and there are literally hundreds of procedure, names, dates, events, laws, figures, cases etc we need to know to answer the bloomin questions!

Does anybody else feel like this or am i just going OTT and trying to remember too much? Can anybody give me like specific things that I should deffo remember?? This thread has been so helpful thank god for all of you and your predictions and essay plans, but with 3 days left is there anything specific any of you could say i need to know and ill memorise them??
Also, any tips on remembering all the info or the cases and figures etc??
Thank you for all your help!!
Reply 136
Original post by kittien9
I've been homeschooling myself on politics a2 and omg im so overwhelmed!! Theres toooo much information its insane!! The textbook is so poorly written its confusing, nothing is explained clearly and theres a lot of jumping to diff points!
I've gone through the whole textbook, the annual update, the 2 student unit guides and rather than feeling ready i feel more overwhelmed and like im about to burst, nothing gets into my head and there are literally hundreds of procedure, names, dates, events, laws, figures, cases etc we need to know to answer the bloomin questions!

Does anybody else feel like this or am i just going OTT and trying to remember too much? Can anybody give me like specific things that I should deffo remember?? This thread has been so helpful thank god for all of you and your predictions and essay plans, but with 3 days left is there anything specific any of you could say i need to know and ill memorise them??
Also, any tips on remembering all the info or the cases and figures etc??
Thank you for all your help!!

SAMEEE !! I have literally been teaching gov pol A2 to myself, there is so much to read however I believe that our exams will most likely be concentrated around 2011-2012. One can see that there is a general trend, for example within political parties, in each 15 marker there has almost always been 'explain the values of the Democratic/Republican party & Third parties limited success'
Reply 137
So this is how 3C will be structured (99%) sure based on patterns

40 Markers:
Race -> something on the Obama administration on immigration (?)
Elections -> electoral college needs replacing
Pressure Groups -> Whether PG's are good or bad for democracy/elitism/pluralism

15 Markers:
Parties -> Party faction question
Parties -> Which groups of votors tend to vote for Rep's/Dems
Race -> Ethnic makeup of federal government question
Elections -> invisible primary
Pressure Groups -> factors which give PG's success/how they influence the senate
(edited 7 years ago)
I am so screwed for this exam, I've only revised the elections topic and hardly anything else - can someone please advise me what the most efficient way is to revise for the exam in 2 days? I'm so stressed and overwhelmed you don't even understand! Any advice would be appreciated
Original post by Nathan2711
I'm so worried, got a B in unit 1 last year. Did my unit 2 retake today &think I managed to get a good grade. But I feel like I know nothing for unit 4c and 3c😓I want to do Politics at uni and I really dont want these units to drag me down:frown:

I'm in the same predicament as you - it's ridiculous the amount of content in A2, don't know what edexcel was thinking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending