The Student Room Group

Advice on combined history degree with film or literature.

Hi , I'm currently studying my as levels but have to start applying to universities in the new academic year this September . I'm considering doing a combined history degree and just wanted some general advice regarding the benefits and difficulties . I'm struggling pinning just one thing down and have been researching in to history and film and the course seems ace! Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated :smile: thanks !
Reply 1
Original post by Book thief
Hi , I'm currently studying my as levels but have to start applying to universities in the new academic year this September . I'm considering doing a combined history degree and just wanted some general advice regarding the benefits and difficulties . I'm struggling pinning just one thing down and have been researching in to history and film and the course seems ace! Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated :smile: thanks !
Film can be an important historical source - so this combination is not unreasonable.

You might also like to look at the BA History at Hull - they have had a long tradition of including the study of film as a historical source in their single honours degree.

Alternatively, check out unis like Lancaster which allow you to do one or two modules from other courses as part of a single honours degree - see here for core information and links to other options.
Reply 2
I do Film and History! I actually originally applied for History but changed my course to joint honours in the first week, and I'm so glad I did. I really like the balance of doing two subjects, helps me stop getting so overwhelmed as history can be quite intense sometimes. and the two subjects do overlap more than you'd think - at my uni we do the history of cinema and next year I'm taking an Art History module which I imagine will delve into film as well.

I really enjoy it, anyway. Good luck with your decision, and even if you end up disliking it you might be able to change your course like I did?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending