The Student Room Group

Makeup products and tips for a beginner

I really want to try wearing makeup on a daily basis because i thought why not? So I wanted to know the basics and the best products that I should get across the board. I am a beginner and I kind of want to know more because I kind of suck at it so i could improve.:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by booksandcats
I really want to try wearing makeup on a daily basis because i thought why not? So I wanted to know the basics and the best products that I should get across the board. I am a beginner and I kind of want to know more because I kind of suck at it so i could improve.:smile:

Basics; Foundation, Concealer, Mascara, Eyebrows & Lips

If you have time on your hands; eyeliner & contour with highlight.

The best foundation i found is Makeup Forever ultra HD but if thats too expensive, Revlon Colourstay does the job

Concealer, Maybelline age rewinder is the best!!

Mascara, Loreal telescopic & maybelline lash sensational

Eyebrows; Abh - Anastasia Beverly Hills but if thats too expensive Sleek is perfect as well as the Freedom pomade

Lips; thats your own choice but my favs are ABH & Mac aswell as Colorpop

Contour; ABH or sleek contour or benefits Hoola bronzer

Highlight; ABH
I'm not an expert but I pile on makeup nearly daily so I have some knowledge of how to do make up. I normally wear foundation, mascara, brow pencil and lip balm. I'd say keep it simple. I use a beauty blender to apply my foundation because I always end up streaky if I use a brush. Also it depends on your skin type. If you have dry skin prime it well with moisturiser and if you have oily skin make sure you set your makeup with a good powder. My favourite makeup brand's are Too Faced and Urban Decay because they don't test on animals and their products are pretty good quality. If your on a budget then Sleek and Gosh are really good too. You'll improve at makeup the more you wear it because practice makes perfect.
Foundation: Too Faced born this way
Concealer: Urban decay naked skin concealer
Mascara: Kiko attraction mascara
Brows: ABH Dipbrow Pomade
Lips: Sleek lip gloss
Face/blush: Sleek face form palette

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree with pretty much all of the recommendations. But if mac and ABH are too expensive go with drugstore ones like Maybelline, chubby sticks/lip glosses are also really nice if you're a beginner because they aren't in your face and they look fresh and hydrated which is good in the summer.

If you're stuck on things like contouring or highlighting or any of the complicated eye shadow stuff there are a few youtubers that are really good at describing technique as well as giving their opinions of products that work well.
You can either go ham with the drugstore stuff or go to a place with lots of high end make-up like Selfridges or John lewis and get the make-up artists there to give you recommendations on their top products. That helps you get a small collection of really good high quality make-up that you can use for everyday use.

(also companies like Anastasia Beverly Hills(ABH) and colourpop aren't available in the UK.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending