Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Traditional illustration universities in the UK?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I have long marvelled at the illustrations by Leyendecker, Frazetta, Rockwell, Cornwell and other traditional illustrators. They all worked for the either the comic book, newspaper, film and book industry by creating their numerous illustrations. Having done some research I found that most studied under traditional art academies and ateliers, obtaining the craft of the art and then naturally falling into illustration as they tried to make money out of it.

    In the modern day and age the path seems much harder as I struggle to see how one gets into illustration without an illustration degree. Unfortunately all of the work I see from the modern illustration degrees can't even match the mess that the above artists had on their palette, let alone their work in terms of quality. I have worked in my own time for the past two years and training myself at home traditionally but would like to improve still. Realising that a fine art degree probably won't mean much, what are my options for education?
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.