The Student Room Group

Traditional illustration universities in the UK?

I have long marvelled at the illustrations by Leyendecker, Frazetta, Rockwell, Cornwell and other traditional illustrators. They all worked for the either the comic book, newspaper, film and book industry by creating their numerous illustrations. Having done some research I found that most studied under traditional art academies and ateliers, obtaining the craft of the art and then naturally falling into illustration as they tried to make money out of it.

In the modern day and age the path seems much harder as I struggle to see how one gets into illustration without an illustration degree. Unfortunately all of the work I see from the modern illustration degrees can't even match the mess that the above artists had on their palette, let alone their work in terms of quality. I have worked in my own time for the past two years and training myself at home traditionally but would like to improve still. Realising that a fine art degree probably won't mean much, what are my options for education?

Quick Reply

Latest