The Student Room Group

How to get into health care with no qualifications?

I have come to the point where I am drained from office life and feeling like the work I do actually does not make a difference. I want to work in a hospital ideally as a nursing assistant.. How do I get into this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Souljer
I have come to the point where I am drained from office life and feeling like the work I do actually does not make a difference. I want to work in a hospital ideally as a nursing assistant.. How do I get into this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you'd need an enhanced DBS done and most likely an NVQ level 2 for most places these days it seems.
Original post by Souljer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ACCESS course or NVQ or DBS.
Original post by Souljer

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/healthcareassistant.aspx

You said you had a criminal record and were currently doing community service. What were your convictions for? It could prevent any attempt to get into nursing.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
you'd need an enhanced DBS done and most likely an NVQ level 2 for most places these days it seems.

Yeah but dont I need a job to do the nvq?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/healthcareassistant.aspx

You said you had a criminal record and were currently doing community service. What were your convictions for? It could prevent any attempt to get into nursing.

Failure to stop when being pulled over, I also did 16 weeks in a juvenile prison 12ish years ago but due to the length of time ago I had an enhanced dbs and it didnt show

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
also looking for this information
Reply 7
If you have any level 2 qualifications, ie GCSEs, then you can get a job as a healthcare assistant. There are jobs advertised on the NHS jobs website that will help you obtain the qualifications in healthcare that you need. However, these will be pay band 1 or 2, so not particularly well paid.

If you are willing to volunteer you will gain valuable skills that way. You may need to start off making tea but will then get to talk to patients, observe exactly what nurses etc are doing, and eventually you might get trusted to do more things.
Places like care homes are always looking for volunteers, and even if it isn't the exact area you want to work in it will be helpful.

You could do something like St John's. It is emergency care, so you'll learn first aid skills. You then use this experience to enhance your application.

You can do an online course here that is free. It's not the full nvq you'll need but will give you the basics and may help to make up for lacking other qualifications.

Another idea would be to start off
answering 999 calls
. You just need people skills, which could come from retail or restaurants or any form of interacting with others. It is a tough job because you're speaking to people in distress, but many people move onto other healthcare jobs afterwards.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending