The Student Room Group

Maths Degree without FM?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imperion
This is why stats is usually the side dish :tongue: can confirm, learnt S1 in 1/10 the time it took for M1.

And mechanics is the 'main chick'? :K:
Original post by SeanFM
And mechanics is the 'main chick'? :K:

:yep:

Fun to chase after, plays hard to get, knows her stuff :sexface:

Spoiler

Reply 42
Original post by Glib
Can you study maths at university without further maths A level. I never really thought about a maths degree before but as the years gone on I've enjoyed maths more and more. I also do Economics at a level, could that be classed as statistical maths?

Yes, there are very good unis that are fine with it e.g. Bristol and Bath. However doing the AS in Year 13 wouldn't hurt, or if you don't want to commit to that maybe looking over some of the material over Summers. But it is an advantage to have it
Reply 43
Original post by Imperion
I think most applicants will have 9-12, not 18...

I guess… my teacher said that additional maths (maths + fm + another 6 units) is good if you aspire to take it to uni, but with 18 units (additional maths) you'll stand out from those with 9-12, considering your grade is good. But that's just one route and isn't necessary. I think physics, economics and even computer science can make an application look competitive as well as diverse
Original post by zayn008
Most good Uni's will want additional maths… that's 18 units.… they might not specify will you will stand out and have an extremely competitive application

I didn't meet many people at the Oxford interviews doing Additional Maths... I'm sure it helps but I don't think it's worth worrying about.

To respond to the issue:

While most unis do not require it, that is normally to allow for schools that don't offer it. If you look at the feedback on the MAT papers, you can see how many people get into Oxford without FM each year.

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test
Original post by zayn008
I guess… my teacher said that additional maths (maths + fm + another 6 units) is good if you aspire to take it to uni, but with 18 units (additional maths) you'll stand out from those with 9-12, considering your grade is good. But that's just one route and isn't necessary. I think physics, economics and even computer science can make an application look competitive as well as diverse

Lol the only people doing 18 units are the aspiring Cam Maths no lifers :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Princepieman
Lol the only people doing 18 units are the aspiring Cam Maths no lifers :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty much lol but getting an A in them all is almost guaranteed to get you far
Original post by zayn008
Pretty much lol but getting an A in them all is almost guaranteed to get you far

Idk about that.. I'd rather hire someone with a bit of life experience than someone who spent all their time at sixth form doing just maths aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SeanFM
Yes.. much more straightforward and easier to self teach than mechanics, and the exams can't throw anything extremely weird at you.

yeah "straightforward" is subjective :lol:

I find stats just dull so many formulas etc mechanics although is challenging to learn its much more enjoyable and you can gain a sense of appreciation of how things work etc. ^ :love:

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
Most good Uni's will want additional maths… that's 18 units.… they might not specify will you will stand out and have an extremely competitive application

I just checked. Zero Russell Group universities require, or even suggest this. To quote Oxford on the subject:

Should I do Additional Further Maths/more maths modules? Will this make me more likely to be offered a place?

If you have the spare time, and are intending to study maths at university, then doing STEP or AEA papers would be better preparation than doing more modules for the sake of it. However, if you're particularly interested in S6 or M5 then by all means take the extra modules.

A vanishingly small number of people do 18 modules.

Anyway, we've pretty much covered the application process, but for the degree itself: yes, you will absolutely be at a disadvantage in the first year for not having done it. After that, it's not much relevant.
Reply 50
Original post by Princepieman
Idk about that.. I'd rather hire someone with a bit of life experience than someone who spent all their time at sixth form doing just maths aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I mean for uni, maths alone isn't very helpful for work unless you have something to accompany it, unless it's like data analysis in which case you did 12 extra units for nothing
Reply 51
Original post by BlueSam3
I just checked. Zero Russell Group universities require, or even suggest this. To quote Oxford on the subject:

A vanishingly small number of people do 18 modules.

Anyway, we've pretty much covered the application process, but for the degree itself: yes, you will absolutely be at a disadvantage in the first year for not having done it. After that, it's not much relevant.

I should've said like or appreciate, you're right that they don't want or require it but it would boost your application significantly
Original post by zayn008
I should've said like or appreciate, you're right that they don't want or require it but it would boost your application significantly

Spending so much time on AFM seems like a waste of time to me. Not gonna help much with the degree. Would be a lot more beneficial imo to read some basic analysis / abstract algebra instead and mention it in the PS too.
Reply 53
Original post by zayn008

Not so sure about significantly. It's cool and all but it just shows that you've learned some exotic content that's been dumbed down to fit A-Level style examinations where questions on examinations require virtually zero creativity or thought. They'd be much more impressed by something like doing well in BMO or STEP or AEA or other extracurricular maths.
Original post by stevey396
Lancaster is not a RG university nor does it have a good Maths department.

Bath isn't in the Russell group either, but it's a perfectly good uni. I've heard from a reliable source that Lancaster is good for stats (on part with top Russell group unis), but not particularly good for anything else.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Bath isn't in the Russell group either, but it's a perfectly good uni. I've heard from a reliable source that Lancaster is good for stats (on part with top Russell group unis), but not particularly good for anything else.

Stats isn't proper maths though, stats modules are only included in maths courses so that those who find pure maths too difficult have something they can pass.
Original post by stevey396
Lancaster is not a RG university nor does it have a good Maths department.

Did you by chance attend Lancaster? Or are you just trolling?
Reply 57
Probably a bit late to reply but I've just finished my maths degree with a 2:1 and didn't do further maths. It really didn't matter, only the people who did do it knew a few more things so could do other things quicker but the difference isn't noticeable
Original post by jess151
Probably a bit late to reply but I've just finished my maths degree with a 2:1 and didn't do further maths. It really didn't matter, only the people who did do it knew a few more things so could do other things quicker but the difference isn't noticeable

Doesn't really mean anything unless you tell us which University
Reply 59
Original post by MintyMilk
Doesn't really mean anything unless you tell us which University

Liverpool John Moores, I applied to Uni of Liverpool and they didn't care I didn't have further maths. Just messed up a few A levels so didn't end up going there

Quick Reply

Latest