The Student Room Group

Rejected from every part-time job I apply for?!

I'm currently looking for a summer job and I have had one offer so far, but they said I might not get any hours. I've been rejected by so many places, even McDonald's, and I'm getting really frustrated now. My interviews have been going okay, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong . . . :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edminzodo
I'm currently looking for a summer job and I have had one offer so far, but they said I might not get any hours. I've been rejected by so many places, even McDonald's, and I'm getting really frustrated now. My interviews have been going okay, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong . . . :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The controversial but pragmatic solution is to let ppl die from lot of small things like drugs and all that effectively reducing the population thus eventually creating more jobs for you and anyone else looking for them.

Obviously there needs to be a limit on this otherwise the world will be barren with too many jobs needing to be done xD
1. Research so you identify as many available jobs as you can.
2. Work ob your applications as that will mean more interviews.
3. Work on your interviews as that will mean you get more offers.

If you are being rejecte4d at interview, then more than likely your interviews arent going ok. Poor prep and poor performance.
Go to careers and see if you cna do some practice interviews, alternatively read up and watch videos on the do's and dont's.
Original post by 999tigger
1. Research so you identify as many available jobs as you can.
2. Work ob your applications as that will mean more interviews.
3. Work on your interviews as that will mean you get more offers.

If you are being rejecte4d at interview, then more than likely your interviews arent going ok. Poor prep and poor performance.
Go to careers and see if you cna do some practice interviews, alternatively read up and watch videos on the do's and dont's.

The thing is, I sometimes get told that I need experience but don't have any! I get interviews most times, but I think as I'm going to university soon, they're reluctant to take me for a few weeks. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Experience, then get some. do some vol work.
Goping to uni isnt going to matter for a seasonal job.
Reply 5
It's so annoying because my Waitrose i work at has so much overtime available lmfao, they hire loads of people however turnover is so damn high! I'm thinking it's because they struggle with the fast-paced environment. (Little Waitrose).
Original post by Hefty11
It's so annoying because my Waitrose i work at has so much overtime available lmfao, they hire loads of people however turnover is so damn high! I'm thinking it's because they struggle with the fast-paced environment. (Little Waitrose).

Oh, wow, that's interesting to note. I can work in a fast-paced environment, I've done various internships etc but sadly I think my dates and lack of experience is being held against me. Sigh. I still have 8 firms to hear back from (you can tell how many I've applied to)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
try walking into the shop or calling them if if you don't get a response i suppose
Original post by banterboy
try walking into the shop or calling them if if you don't get a response i suppose

I've tried this and a lot never get back to me or if I call, they tell me to apply online or in person!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've tried this and a lot never get back to me or if I call, they tell me to apply online or in person!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your grades are really good though?
Original post by zXcodeXz

Grades don't seem to mean anything when applying for retail jobs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grades don't seem to mean anything when applying for retail jobs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh retail jobs yeah quite of people are rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is definitely the lack of experience. Due to many people (especially students) fighting for the same job it is extremely difficult to win the job offer. It doesn't help either when most people have more relevant experience than you.

As I said in my thread 'Graduate Employment' gain some experience at a charity shop. Not the ideal answer you would want to hear I know but it will help you in the long term.

Original post by zXcodeXz

No longer sufficient.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Boreism
It is definitely the lack of experience. Due to many people (especially students) fighting for the same job it is extremely difficult to win the job offer. It doesn't help either when most people have more relevant experience than you.As I said in my thread 'Graduate Employment' gain some experience at a charity shop. Not the ideal answer you would want to hear I know but it will help you in the long term.

No longer sufficient.

Noticed that
Original post by Boreism
It is definitely the lack of experience. Due to many people (especially students) fighting for the same job it is extremely difficult to win the job offer. It doesn't help either when most people have more relevant experience than you.As I said in my thread 'Graduate Employment' gain some experience at a charity shop. Not the ideal answer you would want to hear I know but it will help you in the long term.

No longer sufficient.

Thanks. I have had paid employment, but not in retail, which is the major issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I have had paid employment, but not in retail, which is the major issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talk about transferable skills wherever possible, I think I applied to 50+ retail jobs before I got one and I got 2 years experience in a charity shop a while back.
Don't sit here moaning, get to a charity shop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The issue here is 'relevant' experience. What job(s) did you do before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't get disheartened just keep applying, register for job alerts. Sign up to agencies aswell. The same thing happened to me i was so shocked when i got rejected from McDonalds but then i ended up getting a job from Waitrose paying more with better hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be 0 hours contracts but its a start, if you look at events stewarding e.g. G4S, flexible and where I grew up they were always looking for people. Basic safety stewarding is minimum wage but doesn't require any licenses or much training, just lots of standing around (in knee-deep mud if a music event) and speaking to people.

Also agree with the charity shop suggestions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending