The Student Room Group

Was in a minor accident need advise

Came back home today and saw a scratch on the rear left hand side of my car nothing serous.

I'm not really aware of anything i may have collided with. I was at a small shopping area on a very narrow road, i went into a dead end and had a horrible time reversing out due to closely parked cars and dozens of poles, i may have hit something as i recall having a few close calls.

I have reported to the police with a full incident report and now am very worried they may treat it as a 'failing to stop' incident. Do you think they could take it that far?
"You should not be convicted for failing to stop and failing to report if it is accepted that you honestly were unaware of the incident."

And you're reporting it as soon as you notice evidence of a possible collision. I very much doubt they'd charge you with failing to stop.
Original post by jaycsmff

I have reported to the police with a full incident report and now am very worried they may treat it as a 'failing to stop' incident. Do you think they could take it that far?

That is very noble but total overkill. Failing to stop is only really appropriate if someone was injured or killed in an accident or significant damage was done. It seems that the damage has been self inflicted. Either that or someone scratched it deliberately or otherwise.

Good luck!
Reply 3
I reckon that not knowing that you were in an accident is a pretty good defence. The police (and especially traffic police) are far too overstretched to waste their time on charges like that, where you've done nothing wrong and reported it yourself.

Don't worry!

Edit - Just in case it wasn't clear, that advice was meant to apply to the failing to stop, and not to the accident itself. If you've done something illegal to cause the accident, then that may be a problem, but even then, the fact that you've reported it yourself will hopefully work in your favour :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sek510i
I reckon that not knowing that you were in an accident is a pretty good defence. The police (and especially traffic police) are far too overstretched to waste their time on charges like that, where you've done nothing wrong and reported it yourself.

Don't worry!

Edit - Just in case it wasn't clear, that advice was meant to apply to the failing to stop, and not to the accident itself. If you've done something illegal to cause the accident, then that may be a problem, but even then, the fact that you've reported it yourself will hopefully work in your favour :smile:

lol if it were me, they'd probably push for a custodial sentence because I always end up being that person that they decide to make an example of, while letting everybody else off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending