The Student Room Group

Housing all gone! Why we should leave the EU if we ever want housing

Scroll to see replies

let's see what this family has got to say for itself ....

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Maker
There is a lot of incorrect assumptions. First of all, you are assuming 180,000 immigrants will live in 180,000 individual houses. Has it not occurred to you some of them will be families, couples and house sharers? So that 180,000 figure is immediately suspect.

You seem to already said the reason why not enough houses are not being built by referring to the recession in the late 80s is due to money, not demand. House builders are in it for the money, if there is less demand, they will build fewer houses so they number of houses will never meet demand if it was left up to the market hence the State has to intervene with public housing.

Immigrants do create demand but its pretty small compared to other pressures like young people forming homes, people buying for investment and leaving properties empty and holiday home owners that leave the houses empty for most of the year while young people in the locality have to move.

The most serious problem is the British mentality that houses are more of an investment than a home to live in which drives up prices. In other parts of the world, houses are just a place to live, not a pension.

There are not a lot of incorrect assumptions, the housing crisis we are facing today in a known fact. No 180,000 is unlikely to mean 180,000 homes that is why I said accommodate them. They are still going to need rooms for them and larger house depending upon how many people are occupying, larger houses take up more land - more building. Trying to find fault in an argument can go on forever more, the problem is staring us in the face, EU immigration is having a catastrophic affect on the supply of housing - either we wake up to this or we delude ourselves only to see the disaster unfold before our eyes.
Reply 22
Original post by Gavin2016
There are not a lot of incorrect assumptions, the housing crisis we are facing today in a known fact. No 180,000 is unlikely to mean 180,000 homes that is why I said accommodate them. They are still going to need rooms for them and larger house depending upon how many people are occupying, larger houses take up more land - more building. Trying to find fault in an argument can go on forever more, the problem is staring us in the face, EU immigration is having a catastrophic affect on the supply of housing - either we wake up to this or we delude ourselves only to see the disaster unfold before our eyes.

Again, you seem to understand then don't. You said yourself its all down to money, immigrants on average earn more than natives so they contribute more money to the economy and more people can afford to buy houses.

Put simply, an immigrant gets a job, spends money in the economy, a native gets the money from the immigrant and can use it to buy a house. If there were fewer immigrants, there will be fewer jobs and less income for natives and fewer of them can afford a house.

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.
i agree with you @Gavin2016 you can't just build housing unless you want to live in places that are far far too small
just near me they have just built a place and turned a single 2 bed bungalow into 7, yes you read that correctly 7, 4 bedroom properties
i would buy the the block of three and convert it that's equal to an average house
824,154 registered for national insurance in 2015 where will all these people live if every year a similar number arrive?

Poland: 115,606

Romania: 152,363

Italy: 57,635

Spain: 54,203

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by _icecream
824,154 registered for national insurance in 2015 where will all these people live if every year a similar number arrive?

Poland: 115,606

Romania: 152,363

Italy: 57,635

Spain: 54,203

You are assuming everyone who arrives in Britain stays permanently. Do you have proof of your assumption?
we need to house our own citizens first there thousands on the streets and on waiting lists as it is what annoys me is when people come here and jump the Que in housing to be in front of people already waiting a long time .
Reply 27
Original post by mstone12
we need to house our own citizens first there thousands on the streets and on waiting lists as it is what annoys me is when people come here and jump the Que in housing to be in front of people already waiting a long time .

Fewer people, fewer houses. Get rid of the migrants and there will be a recession, house prices will fall but so will lending and fewer people can afford to buy. Houses will fall into negative equity if they drop in value.

People will rather have migrants than see their property drop in value.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by jamesthehustler
i agree with you @Gavin2016 you can't just build housing unless you want to live in places that are far far too small
just near me they have just built a place and turned a single 2 bed bungalow into 7, yes you read that correctly 7, 4 bedroom properties
i would buy the the block of three and convert it that's equal to an average house

That's crazy the stuff they are doing now a days, there can't be any quality of life all cramped in like that. Terrible way to live.
Reply 29
Original post by Maker
Again, you seem to understand then don't. You said yourself its all down to money, immigrants on average earn more than natives so they contribute more money to the economy and more people can afford to buy houses.

Put simply, an immigrant gets a job, spends money in the economy, a native gets the money from the immigrant and can use it to buy a house. If there were fewer immigrants, there will be fewer jobs and less income for natives and fewer of them can afford a house.

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

If a native got a job instead of the immigrant would another native still get the money to buy a house with? or does this magic only happen with immigrants. I can't see how immigrants earn more on average than a UK worker, if anything there have been reports that they undercut UK citizens. I can't see how an employer would pay an immigrant more under fair and equal pay concerns from other workers. Many UK citizens have been displaced not just on the housing ladder but also on jobs. I don't believe there is some invisible hand that makes only positive impacts because of mass migration to the UK its quite frankly laughable and ludicrous based on no substantial evidence. The evidence we do have is that there is a massive housing shortage in the UK. How for instance do you plan to get accommodation in a few years time when you may need it? There is nothing out there. Remember, immigrants aren't pets to be wrapped up warm and each one taken care off by a UK citizen, poor little things, lol. They are after grabbing what they can, I don't blame them, but its denying UK citizens and youngsters a chance to have a life.
Reply 30
Original post by Maker
Fewer people, fewer houses. Get rid of the migrants and there will be a recession, house prices will fall but so will lending and fewer people can afford to buy. Houses will fall into negative equity if they drop in value.

People will rather have migrants than see their property drop in value.

Some truth in this, but unfortunately keeping property prices artificially high through immigrant demand in order to avoid an 80's style housing market crash is making it unaffordable for people to afford housing now in this country, renting or buying. Its gone on too long and is no longer healthy for the country to keep houses at this vastly inflated rate. Once the pressure cooker of immigrant demand is of housing, prices will start to fall a little to more affordable rates. I mean do you want to work all hours under the sun to struggle to pay for a mortgage on a piddly little place and if you don't your either on the streets or paying your wage over to some landlord each month in over inflated rent costs?
Reply 31
If a native got a job instead of the immigrant would another native still get the money to buy a house with? or does this magic only happen with immigrants. I can't see how immigrants earn more on average than a UK worker, if anything there have been reports that they undercut UK citizens. I can't see how an employer would pay an immigrant more under fair and equal pay concerns from other workers. Many UK citizens have been displaced not just on the housing ladder but also on jobs. I don't believe there is some invisible hand that makes only positive impacts because of mass migration to the UK its quite frankly laughable and ludicrous based on no substantial evidence. The evidence we do have is that there is a massive housing shortage in the UK. How for instance do you plan to get accommodation in a few years time when you may need it? There is nothing out there. Remember, immigrants aren't pets to be wrapped up warm and each one taken care off by a UK citizen, poor little things, lol. They are after grabbing what they can, I don't blame them, but its denying UK citizens and youngsters a chance to have a life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085431/Average-migrant-worker-earns-year-UK-British-born.html

You forget a lot of immigrants are well qualified and work in well paid jobs, they don't all pick fruit and serve coffee.

An immigrant with a job spends money and that employs other people including British people. There not a finite number of jobs which a lot of Leavers seem to think there is. Jobs are created if there is money to be made.

The rest of your post is obviously wrong.
Reply 32
Some truth in this, but unfortunately keeping property prices artificially high through immigrant demand in order to avoid an 80's style housing market crash is making it unaffordable for people to afford housing now in this country, renting or buying. Its gone on too long and is no longer healthy for the country to keep houses at this vastly inflated rate. Once the pressure cooker of immigrant demand is of housing, prices will start to fall a little to more affordable rates. I mean do you want to work all hours under the sun to struggle to pay for a mortgage on a piddly little place and if you don't your either on the streets or paying your wage over to some landlord each month in over inflated rent costs?

You are mistaken. House prices rise when money is cheap and readily available and fall when its expensive and hard to get. Its obvious when you look at what happened after the 2008 credit crunch when lending stopped and house prices tumbled.

Now lending is getting easier and prices are rising. It happened before in the mid 1980s when money was easy to get and house prices soared only to crash in the late 1980s in the recession and lending stopped.

And the number will grow

Reply 34
Original post by Maker
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085431/Average-migrant-worker-earns-year-UK-British-born.html

You forget a lot of immigrants are well qualified and work in well paid jobs, they don't all pick fruit and serve coffee.

An immigrant with a job spends money and that employs other people including British people. There not a finite number of jobs which a lot of Leavers seem to think there is. Jobs are created if there is money to be made.

The rest of your post is obviously wrong.

There are English people in well paid jobs and English people in not well paid jobs - same as immigrants. I can't see your argument that immigrants somehow have a larger proportion in well qualifies well paid work. Under the EU anyone can come and work here not just the well qualified, they are not subject to the same immigration requirements as non-EU immigrants. Hence they are plenty of not well paid/qualified EU immigrants here, I have met some over the years. I have met both native UK citizens that are well qualified but underpaid and East Europeans that are well qualified and underpaid. Makes no difference its all adding to a humanitarian disaster for many UK citizens from this point on wards if we stay in the EU - i.e nowhere to live

Put it another way for you to see if you can get your head around this, ask yourself, how long does it take for a EU immigrant to travel to this country? (anywhere in Europe max travel time)

Now ask yourself, how long does it take to build a house in the UK? (min to average, traditional construction, average house)

I think you will have your answer there.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending