The Student Room Group

I don't want to live the life my parents want me to do!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1502
There are work clothes and out of work clothes conservative at work avant grade afterwork.

Investment banking is not your standard Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job. Unless you'd be satisfied with avant garde pyjamas, forget about it! You'll have more free time at the weekend but something tells me that wearing designer outfits for a few hours each week will not be enough to solve your issues. You should consider seeing a counsellor.
Original post by BristolFresher15
Holy run on sentences, Batman!

Although I definitely sympathize with your situation, and wanting to lead your own way in life, I think your priorities are still not ideal. You're mixing your need for designer clothing with a career. Judging by your post, it seems like you wouldn't be successful in Medicine anyway, considering you don't have any interest in it. You should take time to think over what you really want to study, and how you may be able to convince your parents of that, or come to a consensus.

And you should also think about leaving behind this notion of judging your self worth by your possession of designer clothing, and turn it into your goals in life; whether they be of physical appearance or academic success (or anything really).

exactly what I was about to say!!!!!
Original post by Shumaya
Investment banking is not your standard Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job. Unless you'd be satisfied with avant garde pyjamas, forget about it! You'll have more free time at the weekend but something tells me that wearing designer outfits for a few hours each week will not be enough to solve your issues. You should consider seeing a counsellor.

Some doctors do 24 our shifts so I wil be satisfied with avant garde pyjamas.I would like to go to therapy but I doubt my parents will take me as my mum denies how I feel and she doesn't care about how I feel about myself.
please use commas and full-stops OP :redface:
Some doctors do 24 our shifts so I wil be satisfied with avant garde pyjamas.I would like to go to therapy but I doubt my parents will take me as my mum denies how I feel and she doesn't care about how I feel about myself.

You can visit your GP alone and they'll be able to help. Hope you get the help you need and start feeling better soon :smile:
Designer =/= good style you know
I just feel worthless and humiliated everyday when i wake up I cannot bear stand in front of a mirror it hurts so much to see how badly dressed I am.No one understands how it feels to feel absolutely worthless I feel like my personality and looks are both not good if I had the looks then I would feel a lot more confident I don't think my personality is good enough.My parents wouldn't notice or care if I cried for my eyes for hours in the bathroom they never comfort me or make me feel like I am important no one is ever there for me when I cry people only like me when I act like a happy person and lie my way through a conversation.

I strongly urge you to seek counselling. If you're at a school, college or uni it is accessible. Otherwise charities or nhs.
They want me to become a doctor I don't want to study until I am 24 then 3 years training or longer if I want to became a surgeon lets say.I will be then earning about 30,000 per year.I am passionate about fashion and I want to wear what I want they don't want to get me designer clothing then if they want me to make my own money then sorry I am not becoming a doctor with crappy salary it only gets good if you have plenty of experience I don't want to wait until my 40s to wear what i want.I want to feel confident that is all I want all my life i felt ashamed of myself because of my clothes I felt ugly and not confident all I want is to feel good about myself.My parents could afford designer clothing but they only purchase it for themselves never for me.I just want to look nice i am tired of always looking ugly it makes me sad.

Then don't it's easy as that. If you're **** at it you can't become a doctor. Also you must want to be a doctor to become a doctor otherwise there's no point you doing it for the money.
I just feel worthless and humiliated everyday when i wake up I cannot bear stand in front of a mirror it hurts so much

You seem like an utterly disgusting person. Good luck getting a high income with an entitled wretched attitude like that.

Some people have real problems you know?
Original post by george-90
You seem like an utterly disgusting person. Good luck getting a high income with an entitled wretched attitude like that.

Some people have real problems you know?

No she doesn't. She sounds like she's really struggling with her self esteem and mental health. You seem quite disgusting though, kicking someone when they're already down.
Original post by Shumaya
No she doesn't. She sounds like she's really struggling with her self esteem and mental health. You seem quite disgusting though, kicking someone when they're already down.

Feeling entitled to expensive luxuries and attacking one's parents because they don't splash out their money is contemptible. Don't pretend otherwise.
Feeling entitled to expensive luxuries and attacking one's parents because they don't splash out their money is contemptible.

Says TSR user george who attacks people he doesn't know on the internet.

The post you quoted said:

'I just feel worthless and humiliated everyday when i wake up I cannot bear stand in front of a mirror it hurts so much to see how badly dressed I am.No one understands how it feels to feel absolutely worthless I feel like my personality and looks are both not good if I had the looks then I would feel a lot more confident I don't think my personality is goodenough.My parents wouldn't notice or care if I cried for my eyes for hours in the bathroom they never comfort me or make me feel like I am important no one is ever there for me when I cry people only like me when I act like a happy person and lie my way through a conversation.'

Most people wouldn't (and didn't) respond to that by calling the OP disgusting. This obviously goes deeper than feeling entitled to expensive luxuries. If you can't see that, you're either completely socially inept or just a complete dick.
Original post by Shumaya
Says TSR user george who attacks people he doesn't know on the internet.

Most people wouldn't (and didn't) respond to that by calling the OP disgusting. This obviously goes deeper than feeling entitled to expensive luxuries. If you can't see that, you're either completely socially inept or just a complete dick.

The part of the post I quoted was in reference to the OP's clothes, which as stated by the OP, are not designer clothes. My attack had everything to do with the OP feeling entitled to expensive luxuries - otherwise I would have quoted something else. You don't get to decide what I am replying to.

Secondly, I didn't call the OP disgusting. I said that they seem disgusting. If you don't understand the difference you're a fool and shouldn't try to throw an invalid sally at me. If you do understand the difference, you are being disingenuous.
The part of the post I quoted was in reference to the OP's clothes, which as stated by the OP, are not designer clothes. My attack had everything to do with the OP feeling entitled to expensive luxuries - otherwise I would have quoted something else. You don't get to decide what I am replying to.

Secondly, I didn't call the OP disgusting. I said that they seem disgusting. If you don't understand the difference you're a fool and shouldn't try to throw an invalid sally at me. If you do understand the difference, you are being disingenuous.

Yes, but the rest of the post was quite worrying and indicated that the issue is a lot deeper than designer clothes. You ignored all of that though, just so you could have a dig at OP.

You seem thoroughly unpleasant, George. Bye.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can't you ring the samaritans or childline to talk to about your problems if you can't see a therapist. You aren't happy within yourself and designer clothes will only bring you short term happiness.
Original post by Shumaya
Yes, but the rest of the post was quite worrying and indicated that the issue is a lot deeper than designer clothes. You ignored all of that though, just so you could have a dig at OP.

You seem thoroughly unpleasant, George. Bye.

The issue is deeper than designer clothes. It is a deep-seated ungratefulness and self-pitying response to self-entitlement. People with self-esteem issues don't whine on public forums about how their clothes aren't expensive.

It's not unpleasant to see this for what it is and have no pity for the individual thusly.
As mean as this sounds, seems like this is more of a temper tantrum towards your parents than a career problem. You should not chose your career on what will give you the best clothes. You should not expect your parents to just deliver you your every desire.

Aspire to money, fine, aspire to a great reputation, sure... But I'm a little worried that your main goal in life is to have designer clothes.

You seem like you're just expecting life to be handed to you on a silver, Louis Vuitton, Platter. Well, you're going to have one hell of a shock when you enter the real world. I suggest counselling in general, or speak to your careers Councillor, I'm sure they will be able to help with your change of heart from medicine.

I wish you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending