The Student Room Group

June 1st: What's the biggest challenge you've faced?

Scroll to see replies

taking care of my young brother from an young age since my mum worked and we couldnt have someone around to take care of him,
hearing my mum and dad argue every night to the point where I wanted them to end it
having to deal with my mums depression
and her suicide attempts on 2 occasions
taking care of the house and siblings when mum went on a holiday suggested by the doctors to help her condition for 3 months while dealing with dads anger problems as he was not in the best state either at that time
falling for a boy only to realise that I would move away in the coming summer
dealing with friends remarks saying that I might be in depression since my mum has it, I was hurt that they didnt understand that all this has made me a reserved, quite person and this doesnt mean I'm 'moody' or 'depressed'

This year has by far been the most difficult, I went from having the best GCSE's in the school to someone who had to drop a subject and face failure for the first time, trying to juggle revision while burying my growing frustration on my mums worsening condition, trying to keep away from trouble and focus on work but trouble is always knocking on my door and it took so much will power to push my thought and feelings away... I feel drained out and I'm not sure if this year I've messed my chances up for getting into uni with my dream career in mind:frown: I feel like its too late but like every difficulty I face, I will just give the best I can now and just face whatever happens with a brave heart...
people have it a lot worse and whatever has happened has made me who I am today so I'm not complaining
Original post by Anonymous
taking care of my young brother from an young age since my mum worked and we couldnt have someone around to take care of him,
hearing my mum and dad argue every night to the point where I wanted them to end it
having to deal with my mums depression
and her suicide attempts on 2 occasions
taking care of the house and siblings when mum went on a holiday suggested by the doctors to help her condition for 3 months while dealing with dads anger problems as he was not in the best state either at that time
falling for a boy only to realise that I would move away in the coming summer
dealing with friends remarks saying that I might be in depression since my mum has it, I was hurt that they didnt understand that all this has made me a reserved, quite person and this doesnt mean I'm 'moody' or 'depressed'

This year has by far been the most difficult, I went from having the best GCSE's in the school to someone who had to drop a subject and face failure for the first time, trying to juggle revision while burying my growing frustration on my mums worsening condition, trying to keep away from trouble and focus on work but trouble is always knocking on my door and it took so much will power to push my thought and feelings away... I feel drained out and I'm not sure if this year I've messed my chances up for getting into uni with my dream career in mind:frown: I feel like its too late but like every difficulty I face, I will just give the best I can now and just face whatever happens with a brave heart...
people have it a lot worse and whatever has happened has made me who I am today so I'm not complaining

Awwww I am sorry
It's good you've stayed strong.
Reply 22
The Pokémon League. . .

Missing 2+ months of school when my dad suddenly died this year. I put horrendous stress on myself and have been so harsh on myself to keep getting the grades I'm expected to get. I'm still waiting for the inquest to be done and trying to do exams knowing this is looming around the corner along with everybody telling me 'You'll get all As anyway!' while still mourning is breaking me.
Reply 24
During my first year of university I watched as my twin sister wasted away in front of me. She had anorexia. She was very sick. I had to be there for her and support her, as well as my mum, who became depressed because of what was happening my sister.
She's better now. But first year of university was a horrible experience (thankfully second and third year were AMAZING!!)

As well as this slight, brief hiccough, I have a visual impairment. So basically I can't see distance too well so I have to look at things closely. I don't really see it as a major thing in my life, it's just a thing that I've always had to deal with and something I'm pretty much used to. But having got through school and a university degree, trying to find a job has been hugely difficult. I have to say that I have a disability and as soon as employers see that it's a visual disability, I feel that I'm automatically written off as someone who can't do a job.
I've never viewed myself as "disabled" because I know that I am perfectly capable of doing things that everyone else can do, admittedly I may have to go about it in a different way or it might take me longer, but I have adapted and I can manage.
I guess my biggest challenge has been trying to help people understand that just because I look at things closely or can't see things as well as they can, I'm not blind and I'm not a write-off.

I know this is a little different to most of the other posts on here... But that's my life!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
By far, the biggest challenge I've ever had to face was my grandfather's death in 2014. I lost my sane Pops in 2012 following a stroke, and prior to that I was living the other side of the country so didn't get to see much of him, meaning the most part of the memories that I have are bad ones. The 3 months leading up to my Pops' death were a fast decline, due to lack of nurse continuity and a list as long as your arm of NHS errors, but that's for another story. I walked into the ward of the hospital at 11am on 25th December 2014 to see my Pops, once a strong, vibrant and glowing man, shrivelled up, green, at a horrifying 6 stone and that was the day I knew he would be leaving us. I've never experienced grief before this, but to lose someone on Christmas Day I feel was one of the worst you could. I spent 4 hours by my Pops' beside listening to every drawn out breath of pain and despair, almost as if he was signalling us to help him. We and the doctors could do nothing - due to blood in the lung and a split bowel, we could either put him on anaesthetic to fix the bowel, which he was too weak for, or leave him to drift. I was holding my Pops in my arms when he took his last breath at 16:07pm. The last memory I have is when I ran back to my Pops at 4:10pm, not believing he was gone, and I hugged him and place my head on his chest. His chest wasn't the warm, soft Pops I always knew, but a freezing cold, rock hard shell of a man who was my hero. I thought I would NEVER be the same again. ncredibly my mum returned to cook a full roast for 4... And exactly a month later, I achieved a place on the SEKF Southern England Karate Squad, which I have since maintained for a year and am seeking an England squad position following a competition in 2 weeks time. 5 months after Pops' passing I obtained 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 2 B's, and 6 C's in my GCSE exams. I then went on a cruise in August, gained my confidence and found myself, met two of my best friends, my boyfriend, joined an amazing sixth form and I've been achieving the most success I ever have. I still get upset about Pops in private once in a blue moon, but I always remember he's here with me. That's the worst thing I've ever had to deal with but is made my who I am today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending