The Student Room Group

Do plagiarism checkers look through documents that are posted online?

If a document was attached online, but the text was not posted on any website. Could a plagiarism checker, preferably turnitin be able to detect this?

thanks.
Original post by unaManzana
If a document was attached online, but the text was not posted on any website. Could a plagiarism checker, preferably turnitin be able to detect this?

thanks.

WHat do you mean "attached online" - online documents can be searched by search engines and plagiarism detection software (see how many results on google are .doc or .pdf files).

Files attached to an email that aren't accessible to search engines aren't accessible to plagiarism software either - even if you used webmail to send the emails. Although if you've sent a file to someone there's always a risk that the recipient could post the content online somewhere or that your email account could be compromised.
Original post by unaManzana

thanks.

All I really know about plagiarism when it comes to coursework is that when I was sat in a briefing (kinda like an assembly or lecture), they say how they will check work, not everyones, but single out a few (if someone from a class is found to have plagiarised then they will check the entire class), but that plagiarism checkers can search through your work and check against it so it will come up with a % of how similar or relevant your work is to someone else's, this could mean that if too much of your work is the same or similar, you could end up not being able to have your work submitted and other things etc. I'm not too sure how it would work online but I'm sure if it was then you need to make sure how much of your work is going to be used.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending