The Student Room Group

How do you revice GCSE Edexcel History?

I've done so much revision for the three units: Cold War, Britain and Russia, but I can't remember a lot of it! Does anyone know an effective way of revising history, especially topics with a lot of info!!! Thanks!
Original post by erintaylor46
I've done so much revision for the three units: Cold War, Britain and Russia, but I can't remember a lot of it! Does anyone know an effective way of revising history, especially topics with a lot of info!!! Thanks!

In your title, you have a spelling mistake. You spelt REVISE WRONG! LOL :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by erintaylor46

yeaaa make timelines just write all the important dates out and learn them but tbh the history exams are q soon now so I'm not making many notes just keep reading the textbooks and reciting them it seems to go in
good luck xx
I do this for every subject I'm taking - look through every past paper you can get your hands on for the subject (not many on the website for the board I'm doing but loads all over the internet) and quickly think of the points/answers you would put down for each question. If there's a question you find on one of the papers that you know you would find difficult answering in the exam, like literally you would cry at in the exam if it came up sort of thing, put it on a list and then go over it later. That way it's very specific at what you need to revise.

For learning large amounts of specific data... well. I find flash cards a good technique - short questions with specific answers - and then getting someone to test you is great. There's a website called memrize online which is great for this - people may have already created a set online which you can just use for your spec. I know a lot of things for history is basically about dates, but try and get your head around the topic first; in depth knowledge of the topic is important - knowing what order things happened in and then then adding specific dates and names can come in later once you know your way around the topic.
(edited 7 years ago)
History is far more about essay technique than even the knowledge itself. The source questions are about getting as much info as possible in the most concise way and the other questions are all about structure and explaining the effects. Avoid narration of the question itself. I revised by reading the textbook I was given and made a list containing the causes and effects of each thing that happened in what I was studying. I also didn't revise for topics that I hated such as Germany in 1918 onwards. This helped me scrape an A* last year and I hope it helps a bit.
Reply 5
Yeah I'm so bad at learning dates and stuff as my memory is awful...
But timelines and flashcards sound like good ways to get the details stuck in your head.
Thank you for all your tips it's actually helped me get a rough idea of what techniques help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending