The Student Room Group

National insurance number

I am trying to apply for student finance but i don't seem to have gotten a national insurance number and I've tried calling all the numbers on the gov website but they all keep sending me in circles to different departments until get to the same one i started with...
you are meant to get one when you turn 16 but i never got one..

What should i do?
Reply 1
Original post by HikariUchiha
I am trying to apply for student finance but i don't seem to have gotten a national insurance number and I've tried calling all the numbers on the gov website but they all keep sending me in circles to different departments until get to the same one i started with...
you are meant to get one when you turn 16 but i never got one..

What should i do?

Are you sure you never got one? If you have worked then you will have had to provide it and it should be on payslips.

If not, try here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Original post by msmaria.magos
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in the process of applying to universities in the UK for a postgraduate degree. I've just submitted my application for a postgraduate student loan to student finance and now I'm asked to quote the National Insurance number on my student finance application. Here's my situation- I'm an EU citizen (Cypriot, to be precise) and I've never worked or lived in the UK, therefore I've never applied for a NI number.

My question is- is it necessary to apply by contacting the National Insurance number application line in order to complete my application or is it possible to apply for one once I enter the UK? Will the latter jeopardise my application for a student loan?

Any information regarding my request is fully appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation!

PM me your NI number along with your bank details (name, number sort code etc) and I'll have a look for you.

Quick Reply

Latest