The Student Room Group

Do universities care about GCSEs if you apply after a gap year?

Reading PPE at Oxford has been a dream of mine. My GCSEs results are 1A*, 3As and 6Bs. Relative to the performance at my school, these results are quite bad. I am however predicted 2A* (poltics and history), 1A (economics) and a B (maths) for A level. Alongside this, I have read multiple books surrounding the degree from the Wealth of Nations to the basics of philosophy. Furthermore, I'll be volunteering for my local MP, working alongside a government whip in his office at Westminster and going to Nepal to build a school for those in need. Should I take the risk of waiting a year and applying (seeing that my teachers won't let me apply to Oxford now), or should I not bother and go to another uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Oxford will still look at your GCSE's in detail even if you go on a gap year. PPE is super competitive, and unfortunately your lack of A*'s will seriously hurt your chances through the admissions process.
Sure you could ace the TSA to prove admissions tutors otherwise, but you have to ask yourself honestly whether you would fair well in that test.
Reply 2
Yes, your GCSEs are just as relevant as if you had not had a year out; and your work experience during your year out is of no significance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending