The Student Room Group

Am i developing schizophrenia?? I'm really scared

I'm a 15 year old girl and atm I'm really worried I am developing schizophrenia.

When I was around the ages of 7 and 8 I used to hear them, especially at night when I was alone. I remember one night I was in my room and I heard a really angry mans voice saying "You stupid girl, you didn't press the right button!" It was completely random and I got really scared and I cried. My mum came to my room and told me i dreamed it BUT I DIDNT! Another time, I kicked a ball away from my brother and I heard a voice say "pick it up and say sorry" and I did as it told me to. Then things kind of just stopped until the middle of last year.

I was on a bike ride with my mum, and I heard a male voice say to me "6,7" multiple times. I asked my mum if she heard it too and she had no idea what I was talking about. I had been baptized about 3 months before so I convinced myself that God had contacted me and that he was giving me bible verses....

I have had small times where I thought my dad shouted me and he had no idea what I was talking about. At school I have sworn blind someone shouted my name, but that hasn't been the case. A recent one that happened to me was the other day and I was laying in my bed, and I thought to myself "I have to sleep now" and I heard a female voice right in my left ear, It scared me so much I sat there for 5 minutes thinking someone was actually beside me.

I also always think someone's talking about me, judging me, watching me or something. I'm also afraid for me or my parents to open the door when someone knocks incase its a murderer or someone ready to attack. I am also constantly talking to myself, always making up conversations with myself, or pretending I'm someone (say my friend) and asking myself questions and replying as if I am talking to my friend (I don't know if that's normal???)

Am I developing schizophrenia? Am I in the early stages? Or am I just worrying about nothing? Please can someone give me advice or any information!? Thanks x
i think u should go see ur GP.just to make sure u don't
i used to hear voices as well.Especially in the night,when I heard a voice say"come downstairs"quietly.It sounded like my mum,so I got up and was gonna go down,but then I thought to myself:"She's asleep,I saw her go to bed"
I listen to music often,to make sure I don't hear the voices.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Hearing voices occasionally is pretty normal, but when it is constant that is when you should start worrying... It sounds to me like you may actually have anxiety, I think your symptoms are too minor to be deemed schizophrenic..

You should probably see a doctor who can give advice on this topic. I wouldn't like to think I was labelled schizophrenic at the grand age of 15, its a label that sticks with you for life.

Hope this helps.
http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/hearing-voices/#.V02_Y-TDHiA
Original post by EternalKiss
I'm a 15 year old girl and atm I'm really worried I am developing schizophrenia.

When I was around the ages of 7 and 8 I used to hear them, especially at night when I was alone. I remember one night I was in my room and I heard a really angry mans voice saying "You stupid girl, you didn't press the right button!" It was completely random and I got really scared and I cried. My mum came to my room and told me i dreamed it BUT I DIDNT! Another time, I kicked a ball away from my brother and I heard a voice say "pick it up and say sorry" and I did as it told me to. Then things kind of just stopped until the middle of last year.

I was on a bike ride with my mum, and I heard a male voice say to me "6,7" multiple times. I asked my mum if she heard it too and she had no idea what I was talking about. I had been baptized about 3 months before so I convinced myself that God had contacted me and that he was giving me bible verses....

I have had small times where I thought my dad shouted me and he had no idea what I was talking about. At school I have sworn blind someone shouted my name, but that hasn't been the case. A recent one that happened to me was the other day and I was laying in my bed, and I thought to myself "I have to sleep now" and I heard a female voice right in my left ear, It scared me so much I sat there for 5 minutes thinking someone was actually beside me.

I also always think someone's talking about me, judging me, watching me or something. I'm also afraid for me or my parents to open the door when someone knocks incase its a murderer or someone ready to attack. I am also constantly talking to myself, always making up conversations with myself, or pretending I'm someone (say my friend) and asking myself questions and replying as if I am talking to my friend (I don't know if that's normal???)

Am I developing schizophrenia? Am I in the early stages? Or am I just worrying about nothing? Please can someone give me advice or any information!? Thanks x

Well, I have never heard voices but.. 'been enjoying duets with depression. Relax!! You are not abnormal. Head or mind problems are the 'sickness of the decade' ask around most people been have through difficult moments times and again. Maybe it's auditory hallucination or something with relation to mind problems.

See a Doctor please ~

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/h/hearing-voices

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/hearing-voices/#.V02_Y-TDHiA
Reply 4

Sounds like you'd benefit from a trip to the doctor. There is certinally the potential for you to have or be developing some sort of mental health condition like schizophrenia.
Write everything down (symptoms questions etc) if you're nervouse about saying it and don't be embarassed about them knowing. You'd be supprised how many people with mh conditions they will see and they are there to help not judge.
Doctor will probably give you a referal to a psychiatrist if they think you have symptoms of a mental health condition, though they may want to see you after a week or so to see how you are doing first (depends on the doctor).
Be honest with them about how long it has been and how extensive it is and they will be able to help you better. Don't be afraid to ask them to explain things or ask about any options like referals, medication, therapy etc. They are there to help you.

In the meantime sites like mind.org and sane.org could offer you some good ifo and advice. You are by no means alone. Loads of other people have schizophrenia or other mh conditions and there is loads of support availabe if you look for it. :smile:
Original post by Kindred
Sounds like you'd benefit from a trip to the doctor. There is certinally the potential for you to have or be developing some sort of mental health condition like schizophrenia.
Write everything down (symptoms questions etc) if you're nervouse about saying it and don't be embarassed about them knowing. You'd be supprised how many people with mh conditions they will see and they are there to help not judge.
Doctor will probably give you a referal to a psychiatrist if they think you have symptoms of a mental health condition, though they may want to see you after a week or so to see how you are doing first (depends on the doctor).
Be honest with them about how long it has been and how extensive it is and they will be able to help you better. Don't be afraid to ask them to explain things or ask about any options like referals, medication, therapy etc. They are there to help you.

In the meantime sites like mind.org and sane.org could offer you some good ifo and advice. You are by no means alone. Loads of other people have schizophrenia or other mh conditions and there is loads of support availabe if you look for it. :smile:

Thank you, i'm just really scared because I don't want to have it... I don't want any kind of mental health problem. I want to join the army when i'm old enough and if I do have this then everything's ruined :'(
Thank you, i'm just really scared because I don't want to have it... I don't want any kind of mental health problem. I want to join the army when i'm old enough and if I do have this then everything's ruined :'(

My childhood dream was to join the army but at 18 I was diagnosed with psychosis and a little while ago my psychiatrist diagnosed me with schizophrenia. I realized quite a few years ago that my dream would never happen because of my mental health. However, the army is extremely difficult on your mind so perhaps, even if you don't have schizophrenia, you might not be mentally tough enough to deal with it. I know you might be put off getting help so you can achieve your dream, but for your own sake and that of other people who would be in your unit, I really advise you to talk to your GP.

If you have any questions you want to ask me then feel free - either here or PM. :smile:
when my dosage of anxiety medication increased, I experienced hearing voices which were yelling at me, or continuous background chatter. I found it frightening, and often made me extremely emotional. My doctor told me that it's due to my racing thoughts due to the anxiety, and is common. I think you should go to your doctor just to check :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest