Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA As English Language Paper 2 - 8/6/16

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Right so anyone ready for this exam a week tomorrow?

Can someone please give me a simple definition of influential power and instrumental power power please? That would be most kind.
    Anyone think of any questions they may ask in Section B which I could plan?
    What topics are they actually going to potentially ask us? The teaching for me has quite frankly been horseshit. So, gender, regional variation, occupation and power is that right?
    Anyone got a particular approach to section B?

Thanks in advance folks.

Hi - I'm so not ready! But I'll do my best to help.

Influential: Power used to influence and persuade others.

Instrumental: Power used to maintain and enforce authority.
    So a teacher may hold instrumental power in a classroom, but a loud and confident student may hold influential power in a group project.

As for Question B - my teachers seem to think it's going to be the same wording "Write an opinion article in which you discuss the issues..." and it will be something to do with attitudes to accent, or a prejudice of some kind to do with language (women in the workplace/low skill occupations and the working class). This is only a guess; they are limited in what they can speculate because of it being a new specification after all.

My topics are Language and... 1.) Region 2.) Occupation 3.) Gender 4.) Social Groups (this is mostly about the power dynamics in social groups so you should be along the right lines)

My general approach to B is to have a statement in each paragraph, back it up with 1/2 theories or linguists, and try and stick to a single line of argument. I always put one point in there opposing my view to spice things up, but I've found a good way to adopt a clear voice is to read lots of newspaper opinion articles, find the ones which make you angry and dissect exactly what it is that you dont like about them - then write like that. Arguing for something which you don't believe in can sometimes be a lot easier, especially when you're short on time.

Hope this was of some use! Good luck!

Hey guys,
    As you have have to write your opinion article directed at a certain group of people (target audeince) my teachers always say to write for an older and more educated audience as it shows your language skills.
    Pernonally, I do not really like this idea as it means you can't really connect to your writing as much as you would if you were writing an opinion article for young people or people your age. Just wanted to point that out for you if you want to reach higher marks.

Also, how would you approach an article about regional accents for example. I never know what to acutally include as my other teacher never gives us feedback which is quite annoying when its getting closer to the exam.
    Thanks guys!

Hi! For section B on paper 2 my teacher has advised us to pick the type of article we want to write, like a broadsheet, then plan and write one for each topic (gender, accents, occupation and sociolect) and then read them before the exam so you can use that as the basis of your answer! You can also do the same for section A but then in the exam incorporate the examples (transcripts or data tables) that you are given to help you!! Hope this helps

What essay plans would people have for part A (accent,work,power,gender)? and what theories would you guys use for the different topics??
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 4, 2016
TSR Support Team
I want...
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.