The Student Room Group

Why the obsession with 100 ums?

I feel like everyone here is just so obsessed with getting 100ums in everything to the point where they're gutted when they get an A and not 100ums. Why does everyone care so much ?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmmmm
Original post by fefssdf
hmmmm

100 UMS in what?
Reply 3
Original post by sunshine774
100 UMS in what?

alevel exams - maths especially people seem to get especially worked up over
Reply 4
in some subjects like maths a level, you need a certain amount of UMS to get an A* or A overall. if i get 100 ums in the easy modules like c1 and c2, i can do much worse in the other modules. plus more ums = being better than other people, if two people apply to uni with the same grades, theyre gonna pick the person with higher ums.

i would kill myself if i didnt get 100ums in my AS maths modules lol
Original post by fefssdf
I feel like everyone here is just so obsessed with getting 100ums in everything to the point where they're gutted when they get an A and not 100ums. Why does everyone care so much ?!

If it's about AS, unis like cambridge look at your ums.
Those who want to apply for Cambridge need to have top UMS to be in with a chance; the average Cambridge offer-holder has around 95 UMS across all subjects. Getting 100 in an easy module gives you the breathing space to get around 90 in a harder one.
100 ums = having a big dick in tsr world
Reply 8
Original post by champ_mc99
If it's about AS, unis like cambridge look at your ums.

i see
Original post by dnr_23
in some subjects like maths a level, you need a certain amount of UMS to get an A* or A overall. if i get 100 ums in the easy modules like c1 and c2, i can do much worse in the other modules. plus more ums = being better than other people, if two people apply to uni with the same grades, theyre gonna pick the person with higher ums.

Have you done any modules yet? Or are you taking them now?
Reply 10
Original post by dnr_23

to get an A* in maths you need 90ums average in c3 and c4 AND 480ums overall.

getting 100ums in c1 and c2 isn't gonna help you get an A*
Reply 11
Original post by BasicMistake
Have you done any modules yet? Or are you taking them now?

taking both AS and A2 modules now, you?
Reply 12
Original post by fefssdf
to get an A* in maths you need 90ums average in c3 and c4 AND 480ums overall.

getting 100ums in c1 and c2 isn't gonna help you get an A*

lool but even if i get 90avg in c3 and c4, if i get low As in the easy modules theres a risk i wont get an a* overall
Original post by dnr_23
taking both AS and A2 modules now, you?

I'm in Year 12 and doing modules for maths and further maths.

As much as I feel that I am capable of getting 100 UMS, I always make mistakes which I don't catch when going over so I condemn myself to 95-ish instead.

EDIT: Hence my username.
Is that like getting 100%? Sorry I'm slightly confused
Original post by fefssdf

Because Maths requires you to get a set amount of UMS and avg. of 180 between C3 and 4 to get an A*

so logic dictates that the better you do i.e the closer you get to 100 UMS in AS it'll be that little bit easier in A level when you want that A* every mark counts
Reply 16
Original post by BasicMistake
I'm in Year 12 and doing modules for maths and further maths.

As much as I feel that I am capable of getting 100 UMS, I always make mistakes which I don't catch when going over so I condemn myself to 95-ish instead.

EDIT: Hence my username.

ah im doing the whole further maths a level next year which is why im obsessed with getting an a* this year - do not want to retake anything

omg i definitely feel that, i made a stupid mistake in c1 and i know i lost 4 marks on the paper which kills me :frown:( at least c2 im feeling a solid 100, how do u think they went?
People who wanted to apply to Cambridge cared a lot about UMS because it was used heavily in their admissions (isn't used as much now as it's not available for all applicants after the scrapping of AS)

At A2, I care about getting full UMS in certain modules, like the easier modules (like C3 Maths and Unit 4 Biology) so I have a bit of leeway on the harder and practical units and can get A*s :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sainsburys wraps
100 ums = having a big dick in tsr world

Indeed
Original post by niv1234
Is that like getting 100%? Sorry I'm slightly confused

ums stands for uniform mark scale
it basically standardises raw marks across different papers and boards
it doesn't necessarily have to be full marks, but near close to

Quick Reply