The Student Room Group

C4 Binomial Expansion Help?

Show that (1+(2/x))^-1= x/(x+2)= (x/2)(1+(x/2))^-1

I managed to show the first part, but I'm not show how to use x/(x+2) to get to the second part, so please could you show me how this is done? Thanks in advance :')
Original post by couruthim

I managed to show the first part, but I'm not show how to use x/(x+2) to get to the second part, so please could you show me how this is done? Thanks in advance :')

post a pic so I can see what you've done / type in latex.

Inb4 Zacken saves you. :tongue:

I managed to show the first part, but I'm not show how to use x/(x+2) to get to the second part, so please could you show me how this is done? Thanks in advance :':wink:

maybe you said this?
(1+2x)1=xx+2=x2(1+x2)1\left(1+\dfrac{2}{x}\right)^{-1} = \dfrac{x}{x+2} = \dfrac{x}{2} \left(1+\dfrac{x}{2}\right)^{-1}??
Reply 3
Original post by poundsoffat
maybe you said this?
(1+2x)1=xx+2=x2(1+x2)1\left(1+\dfrac{2}{x}\right)^{-1} = \dfrac{x}{x+2} = \dfrac{x}{2} \left(1+\dfrac{x}{2}\right)^{-1}??

Yeah, that's what I meant- sorry, I can't take a photo and don't have maths software so couldn't write it in the format shown
Reply 4

I managed to show the first part, but I'm not show how to use x/(x+2) to get to the second part, so please could you show me how this is done? Thanks in advance :':wink:

From xx+2\frac{x}{x+2} divide top and bottom by 2 to get: x21+x2\displaystyle \frac{\frac{x}{2}}{1 + \frac{x}{2}} which you can re-write using index notation to get the required result.
Reply 5
Yeah, that's what I meant- sorry, I can't take a photo and don't have maths software so couldn't write it in the format shown

Don't worry about it, what you'd written previous was completely unambiguous. The other users are making a fuss about nothing.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
From xx+2\frac{x}{x+2} divide top and bottom by 2 to get: x21+x2\displaystyle \frac{\frac{x}{2}}{1 + \frac{x}{2}} which you can re-write using index notation to get the required result.

Thank you! :smile: I can't believe I didn't realise that all this time- I was trying to get it by multiplying both top and bottom by two, which obviously didn't work...
Reply 7
Thank you! :smile: I can't believe I didn't realise that all this time- I was trying to get it by multiplying both top and bottom by two, which obviously didn't work...

No worries. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest