The Student Room Group

Why do we gain weight in ramadan if we consume less calories?

I really cant afford to gain weight this radam. Why exactly do we gain weight though? At the end if the day, your eating less calories than you would on a normal day. Doesnt that mean you shoukd be LOOSING weight? Im so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because your body thinks your starving yourself so it stores fat.
Reply 2
Original post by sabrinaa1234
I really cant afford to gain weight this radam. Why exactly do we gain weight though? At the end if the day, your eating less calories than you would on a normal day. Doesnt that mean you shoukd be LOOSING weight? Im so confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cause of Iftaar, think of all those pakoras and samosas you've had lol
Because you basically binge-eat afterwards. You have breakfast at Iftaari and dinner at night, meaning you're only missing one meal, which you compensate for when you eat all that food afterwards lol
You can lose weight on Ramadan if you don't binge eat between iftaar and suhoor..
Reply 5
You're eating more than you think
Reply 6
Based on what I've seen - it's because people over-eat at iftaar and consume the equivalent of 3 meals anyway. Starving for the whole day slows down your metabolism but to counteract that, if you don't eat less than you would on a typical day outside Ramadan, you're bound to put on weight more easily.
Reply 7
Lol it's simple. You binge eat.

Your body needs X calories a day to maintain your weight. Taking in a calorie surplus = gain in weight. People take in too many calories because they can feel like they can eat whatever they want since they've been fasting the whole day.
if you only miss one proper meal that's like 500cals you're down on a normal day, maybe 1000 with snacks... you will probably be less active if you're tired/hungry/dehydrated so you'll burn less than a normal day

you can easily eat an extra 1000 calories once the sun goes down if you have a large meal
Your gaining weight because your probably already eating ALL the wrong food
Reply 10
Probably the almighty Allah looking after your best interests.

If not I give up.

Quick Reply

Latest