The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Why do 4 year MA vs 3 year BA? I'm still confused

Is my degree, which lasts for four years, absolutely of the same value with a three year BA? Does it not make any difference when applying for postgrad? Could it not help me get into PhD w/o Masters?
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
Is my degree, which lasts for four years, absolutely of the same value with a three year BA? Does it not make any difference when applying for postgrad? Could it not help me get into PhD w/o Masters?

are you applying to a scottish university ? if so yes the 4 year course is generally the same as a 3 year course in England wouldn't make any difference apart from being a year older when you apply for your phd
(edited 7 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
are you applying to a scottish university ?

I have two more yrs to go but I don't mind so long as it is a good uni. I'm doing international relations btw
are you applying to a scottish university ? if so yes the 4 year course is generally the same as a 3 year course in England wouldn't make any difference apart from being a year older when you apply for your phd

What if I was applying to an English university? Or anywhere else in the UK
I have two more yrs to go but I don't mind so long as it is a good uni. I'm doing international relations btw

i have applied for a ma and ba theyre in my case the same thing
What if I was applying to an English university? Or anywhere else in the UK

Basically theres no advantage doing a 4 year course youre just taking an extra year compared to a student in england doing the same course to complete it
i have applied for a ma and ba theyre in my case the same thing

that sucks man. I hope someone made that clear to me before I applied. You see I'm an international student and it's a **** load of money each year. That apart, I will have to apply for MA, apple for a one year visa, then apply for Phd and get another visa. My family doesn't know, they think I'm doing masters :-( What should I do? Should I tell them the truth or just **** PhD?
that sucks man. I hope someone made that clear to me before I applied. You see I'm an international student and it's a **** load of money each year. That apart, I will have to apply for MA, apple for a one year visa, then apply for Phd and get another visa. My family doesn't know, they think I'm doing masters :-( What should I do? Should I tell them the truth or just **** PhD?

whats your course title and at what university so i can double check
whats your course title and at what university so i can double check

International Relations, University of Edinburgh
International Relations, University of Edinburgh

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=L250

this course ?
yes

its just a 4 year undergraduate course
its just a 4 year undergraduate course

yea. Thanks for your help anyways. My parents will get mad :frown: But I have heard that PhD w/o Ma is possible, am I wrong? I mean I've you can do PhD after even a BA
yea. Thanks for your help anyways. My parents will get mad :frown: But I have heard that PhD w/o Ma is possible, am I wrong? I mean I've you can do PhD after even a BA

from what i know yeah it is possible
from what i know yeah it is possible

yea thanks anyways. I think I will have a discussion with ppl in my own uni next year probably they can let me know more. It also depends on the subject whether you can skip MA or not.

Quick Reply