The Student Room Group

Answering problem questions - holistic approach or in depth?

Hi, I have been struggling a lot with time when I tackle a problem question, I feel i spend an awful long time going in details and as a result left with only answering halve the question. I'm awfully worried I won't be getting a good mark as a result. Do I change my tactics and answer all the problems in the question, or is it fine to go in details and miss some parts due to time restraint?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Just answer the exact question they ask, so don't just recite the law.

There isn't time to recite all the law for the topic the question is addressing, so you will need to choose the correct bits and apply it to the facts.

Don't forget to conclude.
Reply 2
Original post by Mimir
Just answer the exact question they ask, so don't just recite the law.

There isn't time to recite all the law for the topic the question is addressing, so you will need to choose the correct bits and apply it to the facts.

Don't forget to conclude.

My problem is that I spend too much time on one given problem going in depth at the expense of other problems that are there in the question. As a result, i've been left with little time to deal with the other problems and to conclude. Do you think I should change my tactics and focus more on the different problems and therefore spending less time on one given problem within the question?
Reply 3
Original post by england100
My problem is that I spend too much time on one given problem going in depth at the expense of other problems that are there in the question. As a result, i've been left with little time to deal with the other problems and to conclude. Do you think I should change my tactics and focus more on the different problems and therefore spending less time on one given problem within the question?

It really depends on what the question is; you should be able to see which issues are more important than the others (by the structure of that question) and then decide which ones should be discussed in depth. As long as you cover all the main issues, you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending