Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Evidence of single status for supporting parent

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Filling in the manual form for a supporting parent for my son.
    It asks to send in proof of single status -
    "Marital StatusSend a copy of one of the following evidence items. If we have already accepted evidence you sent insupport of a previous application for this student you do not need to send any further documents. You willonly need to provide evidence if you haven’t done so previously or if your circumstances have changed.• Decree absolute• Decree nisi• Dissolution order• Most recent council tax bill showing a 25% single occupancy discount• A letter from your solicitor confirming your status• Original death certificate"
    BUT - I have never been married so cannot provide divorce or solicitor papers and I have been a single parent for 16 years. Also my son and I live with my parents (my son's grandparents) so it is not my name on the council tax bill and there is no single occupancy discount as there are three adults living here. My parents, myself and my son have lived her for the last 14 years. I am solely responsible for my so financially but have no court documents to back this up.
    What other evidence can I provide?

    Have you spoke to student finance? Do you receive any benefits (including tax credits) which show just your name?
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2016
What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.