The Student Room Group

post exam anxiety

I seem to be having some post-exam related stress/anxiety... my last university exam was last week and since then I quite literally can't find a place for myself. I'm worried I didn't do as well as I need for a 2.1 and won't be accepted onto an MSc I'm holding an offer for... I can't do anything - I sleep badly because I'm constantly on edge, I wake up being on edge, I'm getting an upset stomach because I started eating so quickly. I can't concentrate on things like TV, let alone books... I cannot relax. I cannot check uni email without physically shaking even though I know the exams haven't been marked yet. my mind is in a constant state of replaying the exams, trying to remember the questions/answers... and of course I can't remember them, which makes me stressed even more. Alternatively I try to convince myself it's all alright but then I tell myself to stop being silly and remember the last time I failed at this and that...
objectively I need 56% average in the above to get my 2.1 but pffftttccch who knows what I wrote, I can't even judge my performance objectively.... oh my god, another month+ of this. must say, I'm on beta blockers for performance anxiety (dissertation presentation next week woop) - tried taking these but they only help for a couple of hours like they should, also I'm in CBT at my university. Tried Headspace and other things, they work temporarily only. My question - will my body tire of this state and when??
Keep busy, do exercise, go for a swim, run, walk
Try and relax at night, have a bath, play music watch films, be with friends, keep busy.
You will get bored of it eventually and the stress will reside.

Doesnt look like you need much. Work in the CBT exercises.
Original post by Anonymous
I seem to be having some post-exam related stress/anxiety... my last university exam was last week and since then I quite literally can't find a place for myself. I'm worried I didn't do as well as I need for a 2.1 and won't be accepted onto an MSc I'm holding an offer for... I can't do anything - I sleep badly because I'm constantly on edge, I wake up being on edge, I'm getting an upset stomach because I started eating so quickly. I can't concentrate on things like TV, let alone books... I cannot relax. I cannot check uni email without physically shaking even though I know the exams haven't been marked yet. my mind is in a constant state of replaying the exams, trying to remember the questions/answers... and of course I can't remember them, which makes me stressed even more. Alternatively I try to convince myself it's all alright but then I tell myself to stop being silly and remember the last time I failed at this and that...
objectively I need 56% average in the above to get my 2.1 but pffftttccch who knows what I wrote, I can't even judge my performance objectively.... oh my god, another month+ of this. must say, I'm on beta blockers for performance anxiety (dissertation presentation next week woop) - tried taking these but they only help for a couple of hours like they should, also I'm in CBT at my university. Tried Headspace and other things, they work temporarily only. My question - will my body tire of this state and when??

Hey OP, just wondered how it's going since I've been feeling exactly the same way.

Sometimes, I struggle to get out of bed. I've been sleeping for 12-14hrs. Sometimes, I feel positive, and then sometimes it's the reverse.

I'm constantly 'calculating what marks I could get in my exams/still end up with my 2.1
Reply 3

Do what you can to stay as un-stressed as possible. Mind.org has some good resources for anxiety/ depression which can be applied to short or long episodes.
It sounds like you're having an episode of increased anxiety. They usually pass within about a month (from my experience) but you can always go see your gp to see what they have to say.

Btw have you ever tried anything like group therapy or a day programme type of therapy? I did a couple of days in therapy a week for a couple of months and it really helped me. Group therapy is something I would not have considered myself and thought I would hate but it was actually great. Everybody there is in a simmilar situation- mh problems of some sort- so there is a lot of understanding. I felt like I could really be myself there.

Edit:
Just noticed your post was a few days ago. How are you feeling now?
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi, replaying the exams in your head again, is not going to help you in your upcoming exams and will only leave you feeling stressed, keep faith in your hard work and abilities. Remember your best is enough and how hard you worked, be proud of that :wink:.
Those exams have gone, done and dusted and now its important to focus on coming exams with a positive mind set, cos you can do this!

Maybe do some activities you feel relaxing, personally yoga and cooking helps me :smile: And make time to meet and spend time with friends to feel better and more relaxed. Also maybe try setting up a relaxing music playlist and a image gallery on your phone of quotes and images you are inspiring and calming.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11582617/How-to-get-to-sleep-eight-surprising-tricks-and-tips.html
this has some useful sleeping tips, also I find 3 part breathing lying down can be useful in helping you feel calmer and more sleepy.
https://www.verywell.com/three-part-breath-dirga-pranayama-3566762

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest