The Student Room Group

I want my part-time jobs to help me get a full time job

Hi all :smile:
I'm currently studying Spanish at Uni and I don't yet know what I want to do for a career when I leave. However, whatever I end up doing I want to make sure that I have job experience that is going to look useful on my CV. Trouble is so far I've only been able to get experience in your typical retail/bar work studenty jobs, and as I know I don't have ambitions to be in charge of McDonalds or Primark I'm worried it won't be enough to help me when I get out into the real world.

I've applied for some pretty generic office/admin type jobs but haven't had any luck or even an interview (most likely because I don't have the right type of experience!) so I was wondering if anyone had any advice/suggestions for me to make myself more employable?
Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 1
I think you can find some freelance job from website.
It's will provide some experience
Reply 2
maybe writing asking for work experience for a week or two? i think the civil service may do this.
Reply 3
Thanks all :smile:
Reply 4
It's well worth contacting companies directly that interest you and offering yourself for part time work or a short term plamcement. That's how I found my job for my gap year, and it has provided me with excellent experience in something relevant to my education (and the pay hasn't been too bad either :smile: ), and so this has been much more preferable than doing menial work for the year which wouldn't have benefitted me educationally.

The advantage of contacting the companies directly is that it shows you are keen and genuinely interested, and with qualifications/interests relevant to the job you should definitely stand out.

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending