Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When is it okay to follow/friend request somebody?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Basically, in september I met this girl on a trip but she lives in another county so I don't see her and I haven't seen her since that week.

We know eachother's names because we had badges on but it has been 7/8 months since we last had contact. Would it be weird if I followed her on instagram? One of the boys from my school follows a girl she was friends with on instagram, who also happens to be following this girl. Would this be okay and should I make a point of ensuring she knows how I found her?

You're overthinking it.

Follow her, just go for it.

This is actually a question I've been meaning to ask. Is it weird to just randomly follow/send a friend request to someone you recognise but have never spoken to?

There is no book which says some things are 'weird' and some are not. Just do it. If someone thinks its weird, why does it matter?

I agree. You have nothing to lose, worst case scenario she denies your friend request so what, no big deal. At the end of the day you won't be friends with her on here but you wouldn't have been either if you hadn't sent a friend request.

I already sent friend requests to people I didn't know in the past. Some of my best friendships started like that. Thanks to one girl in particular, that I barely knew and would never have seen again if I hadn't added her and spoken to her on FB, I met at least 20-30 people. We're 2 years later, they all became good friends and one of them was my girlfriend at some point. I didn't want to send the friend request at the beginning but I'm glad I did.

on facebook = send a request it really doesn't matter
    instagram - only do it in her presence, like be on your phone and say oh hey do you have insta and then follow her.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.