Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Changing to independent status mid course

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am going into my third year and I turned 25 last September. After contacting student finance they said that because i have been supported for the first two years i cannot change to being independent and have my income assessed instead.

I was under the impression if you are 25 on the first day of the academic year you are independent. Nowhere online does it say you cannot change if you have already been dependent.

Has anyone else changed to independent mid course? Should i just accept that my parents are going to have to support me again?

That makes no sense. I've not come across anything which says once you're classed as dependent, that's it, you an't be classed as independent. Especially when your reason is age. But if your birthday is in the middle of the year, you can't suddenly be asked to become independent. It has to before the start of adacemic year.

Thanks that's good to know! I am already 25 and am applying for next academic year so that shouldn't be the problem. I'm not really sure what i should do now...
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2016
What were/are your predicted grades?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.