Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Possibly failed first years exam - Wondering about options

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

Hi all, (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!)

So I've just sat the Marketing 101 exam - Introduction to Marketing at Lancaster University and it’s safe to say it never went well. The stuff I never revised came up and I had a shot at answering them, but I doubt they’re decent answers. The multiple choice test went okay but I don’t want to rest my laurels on that alone so now I’m wondering what are my options?

Marketing is my degree scheme which I love to the bone and I have had three assessments in total although I haven’t received my mark for one of them, so the two grades that I have received are an A- and B which is good, but here you need to get 40% in the exam along with the coursework in order to advance into second year. I'm also averaging around 56% overall for the year.

I will undoubtedly be attempting the resist if I have failed the exam, which I believe I have, but I’m just wondering what would you suggest are some options to explore after failing first year? Resitting the year isn't an option because I’ve already tried first year once at a different uni but admittedly that was more of a wake-up call than anything since I went to hardly any of my classes but I’ve brushed up my act this year and attended almost all of them.

The A-Levels that I studied (in case you’re curious) are Business and ICT where I received an A* in both but they were we both BTECs and Media Studies where I received a C.

I believe these are the rules
    1.A student who fails any non final year module will be required to undertake a reassessment for that module. A student who fails a final year module will be required to resit, but only where a module mark is below an aggregation score of 5.

2.Both final and non-final year students will be given the opportunity to undertake reassessment within the same academic year in which they made their first attempt.

3.All non-final year modules which are reassessed will be capped ata maximum aggregation of score of 9.

So you will be given the chance to resit this year, probably during the summer. It will be capped at 9 i.e a 3rd. I am unsure if thats the final grade or just the exam you take.

Not sure what yiou wnat otherwise, just resit it and dont fail. If you cnat get a third then you shouldnt be there. I would look at your query in more detail, but I dont tbhink you have to consider other options, just pass the exam.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.