The Student Room Group

Possible to take Economics without A Level Maths?

I was wondering if you could take Economics at a good university without taking A Level Maths and only getting a B at GCSE Maths.

Is this possible?

Scroll to see replies

At SOAS (which I consider to be a good Uni) you can take a BA in Economics with another subject (from a very wide range) without A-level maths. They require a minimum B grade at GCSE.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/economics/programmes/baeconand/

Thus, I'm sure there's similar options at other universities. Good luck. :smile:
All the good universities will require Maths A level; the top unis also recommend Further Maths.
Original post by BasicMistake
All the good universities will require Maths A level; the top unis also recommend Further Maths.

further maths? for what?
I know Nottingham and Exeter don't require A Level Maths but they want an A at GCSE
I think most applicants will have Maths at A Level. The top unis also have a preference for Further Maths, which suggests that Economics at uni is very Maths-based, and so, being brutally honest, you may struggle.
Reply 6
Don't mean to sound rude, but wouldn't economics at university level be too challenging if you struggle at GCSE level maths? I guess it would depend a lot on the course in question though...
Reply 7
Original post by studentshavefun
I was wondering if you could take Economics at a good university without taking A Level Maths and only getting a B at GCSE Maths.

Is this possible?

Lots of unis don't say it is required but they won't offer you a place without it, SOAS is an example of that.
Original post by theBranicAc
further maths? for what?

It isn't required by any uni but in the very top unis like Oxbridge, a large proportion of students have Further Maths.
Original post by BasicMistake
It isn't required by any uni but in the very top unis like Oxbridge, a large proportion of students have Further Maths.

yes but further maths does not vastly improve your economics skils that normal maths
Original post by nonon41
Don't mean to sound rude, but wouldn't economics at university level be too challenging if you struggle at GCSE level maths? I guess it would depend a lot on the course in question though...

I don't struggle with GCSE maths only because I got a B, I'm actually very fond of it.
Reply 11
yes but further maths does not vastly improve your economics skils that normal maths

Yes it does

Original post by studentshavefun

Is this possible?

If you're interested in studying BSc Economics then yes, it helps, particularly if you do stats modules. Whether it makes your application more appealing, I do not know, but good understanding/experience with stats and maths it will help you with the maths components of your course, as well as for studying econometrics, dealing with regression, hypothesis testing etc.

You can always look into BA Econ which is more qualititative as far as I am aware.
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
If you're interested in studying BSc Economics then yes, it helps, particularly if you do stats modules. Whether it makes your application more appealing, I do not know, but good understanding/experience with stats and maths it will help you with the maths components of your course, as well as for studying econometrics, dealing with regression, hypothesis testing etc.

You can always look into BA Econ which is more qualititative as far as I am aware.

I ****ing hate you, you ****.

please report me
BA Economics at Manchester is your best bet
It's good to have maths but isn't needed..even for good universities..
I applied for BA economics and politics at Kent and they require only a B at GCSE maths...and they are 7th in the country for economics and 5th for Politics..and the uni splits the class In two for a level students and non alevel maths students..so the non maths student get more help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous_18
It's good to have maths but isn't needed..even for good universities..
I applied for BA economics and politics at Kent and they require only a B at GCSE maths...and they are 7th in the country for economics and 5th for Politics..and the uni splits the class In two for a level students and non alevel maths students..so the non maths student get more help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kent is 20th my g
Original post by glebp
Kent is 20th my g

Kent is 20th overall as a university..but for economics they're are 7th..I'm going to the university in September..I'm not stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham offer a BA in Economics, which you can do without A-Level Maths.
Original post by Anonymous_18
Kent is 20th overall as a university..but for economics they're are 7th..I'm going to the university in September..I'm not stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, show me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending