The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Is the STEP III exam definitely at 2 pm UK time?
Was 2014 easier than usual? The grade boundaries seemed average..
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Is the STEP III exam definitely at 2 pm UK time?

Yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile

2pm? I thought it was 1:00? I guess we can start at 1:30 if it starts at 2pm though - isn't there some 30min leeway rule?
Original post by tridianprime
2pm? I thought it was 1:00? I guess we can start at 1:30 if it starts at 2pm though - isn't there some 30min leeway rule?

What leeway rule? Technically you can probably sit at any time tmmrw since some internationals will take it later. My school starts exams at 2pm in afternoon so my exam will be at 2pm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krishdesai7

I found it about 8 marks harder than average. I never do mechanics, so I wouldn't know if that was easier.
Original post by krishdesai7

Harder then usual the grade boundaries suggested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2107
Please could someone predict what a grade I is for STEP II 2016? Would it be lower than last year's 68 for a grade I?

Many thanks!!
Original post by box036
Please could someone predict what a grade I is for STEP II 2016? Would it be lower than last year's 68 for a grade I?

Many thanks!!

Consensus seems to be that it will be slightly higher, in the low 70's. No-one really knows though.
Hey guys just a quick question not sure if this is the right place but here i go: Can i still use adjustment if I get grades lower than my conditional for step 2 and 3 but i exceed in my a-levels?
Original post by King Beast
Hey guys just a quick question not sure if this is the right place but here i go: Can i still use adjustment if I get grades lower than my conditional for step 2 and 3 but i exceed in my a-levels?

Yes. But universities such as Cambridge and Imperial don't use Adjustment.

I think so (not sure why you'd want to though).
Original post by jneill
Yes. But universities such as Cambridge and Imperial don't use Adjustment.

O thats no problem my conditional offer is imperial anyway, do u reckon imperial will still offer me a place without the required grades in step i have applied for a mathematics degree.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I think so (not sure why you'd want to though).

Well because Im not convinced Warwick (my insurance) is the right place for me. So if I dont recieve an offer from imperial I want to be able to have a bit more choice.
O thats no problem my conditional offer is imperial anyway, do u reckon imperial will still offer me a place without the required grades in step i have applied for a mathematics degree.

Sorry but no-one can say really. It will depend on the day on how well (or badly) you have done compared with others who also missed their offer.

So you think you will exceed A*A*A - but miss STEP?
(edited 7 years ago)
I just need a 3 tomorrow... any tips for someone expecting very few marks to grab a few extra? :biggrin:

And good luck to everyone going for those 1's and even S's, you guys are insane.
Reply 2116
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I just need a 3 tomorrow...

Nonsense. You can easily get a 1 in this paper. You've done it before on past mocks. If you can do 1 full question and 4 half-questions, that could be a 1. Or even 6 half-questions works. At the very worst, you can get a high 2. :yes:

Anywho - try and pick out the easiest question first, try and get a full and that'll hopefully boost your confidence. Don't spend too long on questions since not very many marks are allocated to the last bits of the question.
Original post by Insight314
Has anyone ever asked @Christ's Admissions how Cambridge feels about Mathmos meeting STEP but missing their A-level offer? I remember there was discussion on this thread and the Cambridge one about this, and with all the statistics around it, it seems like Cambridge mostly cares about STEP due to how big of an indicator it is for success in the Tripos. I guess asking @Christ's Admissions may be more useful in answering this question?

We'd rather people made the STEP offer than the A level offer (though obviously it's better to get both!). It's pretty rare for people to get STEP and not get 2 A*s and an A, as STEP is significantly harder than A Level Maths or FM.
Original post by jneill
Sorry but no-one can say really. It will depend on the day on how well (or badly) you have done compared with others who also missed their offer.

So you think you will exceed A*A*A - but miss STEP?

yes with ease i just neglected to prepare at all for step and after my step 2 exam i regret it but theres not much i can do at this point having don no step 3 past papers.

Just don't get U's they will let in nearly all people who get 2,3 or something similar for maths. I know a few. One got
2,3 in II and III and A*A*AA in Maths FM Physics and english and still got a place. Despite his offer being 2,1 or soemthing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending