The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
But according to you, STEP I 2015 should have had higher boundaries because STEP I 2014 bottomed out?

Nope, because there have been times at which STEP I has went up to 3 consecutive downs. It would either be a third down which is unlikely since there has only been one like that in the whole 2000-2015 I think in about 2005 (cba to check) and it more often happens that it spikes after a down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
This is III 2005, Q3.

thanks zacin
Reply 1022
Original post by Alex_Aits
I can't find it, but if it helps this is how I always think about it:

Sufficient condition: if the condition is true, then the result must be true, but not necessarily the other way around. In other words, knowing only the condition is true is sufficient to assert that the result is true.

Necessary condition: Result is true implies that the condition is true. In other words, the result cannot possibly hold without the condition. However, note that this says nothing about whether or not the result is actually true - all it says is that if it is true, then the condition must be also.

If we then have a condition that is both sufficient and necessary, we deduce that the condition and the result are logically equivalent, since without the condition the result cannot be true, and with the condition the result must be true.

If you want me to go through a specific example I'd be happy to do so

Thank you for this, I liked the explanation!
Reply 1023
Original post by Insight314
Nope, because there have been times at which STEP I has went up to 3 consecutive downs. It would either be a third down which is unlikely since there has only been one like that in the whole 2000-2015 I think in about 2005 (cba to check) and it more often happens that it spikes after a down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not convinced, the sample size is too small to conclude that it's unlikely we won't get 3 consecutive down's again this time, for all we know, that's 65-ish boundaries for a 1 is what they want.

Original post by drandy76
thanks zacin

No problem mate, you sitting I tomorrow?
Original post by Zacken

No problem mate, you sitting I tomorrow?

yeah,just reading over some stuff before hand because ive been doing mechanics this past month so i need to make sure everything is still in my head
Reply 1025
Think it's time to unearth this post - credit to shamika, of course, I'm just quoting it here:

Original post by shamika
Sorry I couldn't write this earlier - I've been feeling a little ill the last couple of days. A few last bits of advice before STEP I on Monday:

1) Do not panic. You can ignore the other advice I give below, but seriously try to resist the urge to worry about the exam. A little nervous adrenaline is fine (and may help). Thinking that your life is about to end because of a bad paper is silly and counterproductive.

Not doing any STEP over the weekend is a completely valid 'revision technique' if it means you'll be alert and relaxed for the exam. Eat and sleep properly, and take some water with you into the exam.

2) Resist the urge to put pen to paper the second the exam starts. You should read every question in the Pure section, and any of the applied that you can realistically do (clearly if you've never studied any statistics trying to do some in the exam is unrealistic at best).

How long you spend is up to you. I would spend between 5 and 10 minutes, and in that time:- I would have a good idea what each question is trying to test (e.g. 'this is an integration question')

- I would skip any questions on topics I hate (for me, any question with vectors or geometry I'd stop reading it and move on)- I would work out which questions I think are easy (i.e. I can work out immediately how to do the first few parts, or sometimes the entire thing from a glance), and hence work out the order I want to attempt them
STEP is supposed to be unpredictable, and its supposed to be hard. Don't make it harder by trying the wrong questions.

3) STEP requires you to use standard techniques in novel ways, and thinking about how to approach a question can reap dividends.

As an example, consider STEP I Q2, 2011:

Spoiler

4) The above question is also slightly unusual in that the first part is the hardest in the question. You can pick up marks for doing later parts of the question without doing the first.

Spoiler

5) Any valid way to do a question (which is not expressly forbidden by the question) should gain full marks. There are often multiple ways to do a question. The recent solutions and examiner's reports for STEP I are excellently written and often show multiple ways of doing a question - one thing you might want to do this weekend is to read those rather than trying a full paper.

6) STEP I sometimes has an 'elementary' first question which requires no knowledge of the A-Level syllabus; the last one was STEP I, Q1, 2009. Knowing something about counting/prime numbers may give you a full question very quickly.

7) Don't ignore the applied if you can! Topics I would brush up on for STEP I would be:Mechanics:
collisions and projectiles
Statistics: definition of a pdf and expectation (Obvious caveat - I have no idea what's in your paper)

You'd be surprised how many questions require very little knowledge. Applied questions which are slogs of algebraic manipulation are not uncommon.

8) Speaking of algebraic manipulation, STEP is full of it. You'll have to strike a balance between not making mistakes and not running out of time. STEP is definitely time pressured, especially if you're going for an S or 1 rather than 'just' a 2.

9) STEP sometimes requires you to prove or show that a statement holds. Learn (quickly if you haven't before the exam!):- the difference between 'necessary' and 'sufficient' (or ABA \Rightarrow B and ABA \Leftarrow B) - what 'if and only if' or 'equivalent' means- what an identity is and how it differs from an equality.

Don't make the mistake of thinking peppering your script with fancy symbols is the way to go. Symbols should aid the reader in understanding your mathematics. Saying something using ordinary words is usually the way to go.- remember that something 'obvious' may not be so in the heat of an exam. The "identity" yxxy=1\frac{y}{x}\frac{x}{y}=1 has the obvious caveat that it doesn't hold if either x or y are 0. Don't divide by 0 and be careful when squaring (there's the possibility of spurious solutions, since x2=x\surd{x^2}=|x|, not x -

In mechanics questions, always draw a diagram (the only exception to this we discussed earlier, for moments of inertia problems, do not come up in STEP I or II), and explain in words when resolving (and in what direction), or if you are using conservation of energy/momentum) If it's all going wrong, still don't panic:

- You might be very lucky and remember something from your extra reading around maths to use an advanced technique on a problem. If so, state very clearly what you are trying to do and force on. You might make the examiner smile and hey, that's never a bad thing
- Taking a couple of moments to breathe in the middle of the exam is not a bad thing. Last year I panicked in the middle of an exam - I shut my eyes, drank some water and moved on from that question. Ironically the thing that made me panic was an algebraic slip that changed an integral from something trivial to impossible.
- Fragments of questions may be worth more than you think.

Spoiler

- Checking your work (quickly) may show that you made a slip.- If you're finding the exam hard, chances are the majority of people are too.(The honest truth is that you're against the best of the best - someone is likely to do well no matter how harsh the paper is. However you can see for yourself how variable the grade boundaries are, just like any other exam. There is a chance the examiners misjudge the paper and make it too hard.)

Hey, if England can pull it back against Sweden, so can you :smile:Best of luck all, no matter what happens it will be fine. Note the similarity between the above advice, and what is in the examiner reports/Siklos' booklets. Most of it seems obvious but believe me people will lose marks (maybe even grades) by not following it.
Equivalent is the same as equal. Am I correct? Like 1000m is equivalent to 1Km?
Reply 1027
Original post by Geraer100

There are some subtle differences, but nothing you really need to worry about at this stage.
Original post by Zacken
There are some subtle differences, but nothing you really need to worry about at this stage.

Okay...
Original post by Geraer100

well in step it normally is an if and only if condition.
Original post by physicsmaths
well in step it normally is an if and only if condition.

Ok!
Original post by Zacken
Accuracy mark, method mark, independent mark.

What do they translate to, in terms of marks on 20? Or does that vary from question to question.

Also, accuracy and method marks sound sort of self explanatory, but what do you mean by independent mark?
Reply 1032
Original post by krishdesai7
What do they translate to, in terms of marks on 20? Or does that vary from question to question.

Also, accuracy and method marks sound sort of self explanatory, but what do you mean by independent mark?

A1, M1, B1 is 1 mark each - hence the 1. I'm not sure what you're asking...?

Independent mark is just a way of giving marks for something that doesn't rely on the method before it.
Original post by Insight314

This sort of speculation is likely useless, as future boundaries have no explicit dependence on previous boundaries - instead, I'd argue that there's a more significant dependence on the difference between previous boundaries and their "ideal" boundary (if such a thing really exists); and that this is more likely to the influence the difficulty of subsequent papers. I presume it's favourable for them to stay close to their generic advice of "4 good solutions is a grade 1", so a mark in the mid 60s is most probably something they're happy with.

It's also worth pointing out that grade boundaries in STEP appear to be very sensitive to minor changes (as the quality and level of prep of the candidates is so high nowadays), and that STEP I boundaries are far too volatile to make predictions of this kind.
[QUOTE=Zacken;65739441]A1, M1, B1 is 1 mark each - hence the 1. I'm not sure what you're asking...?

Independent mark is just a way of giving marks for something that doesn't rely on the method before it.

Yeup okay. Sorry, I just wasn't sure of what the 1 stood for.

For the longest time I thought they were like alphabet grades so an A1 was like an A+ and an A2 was like a A- or something.

I suppose the abbreviations are well known in England?
Also, best of luck to all taking STEP I tomorrow (and II, later in the week)!
Reply 1036
Original post by krishdesai7
Yeup okay. Sorry, I just wasn't sure of what the 1 stood for.

For the longest time I thought they were like alphabet grades so an A1 was like an A+ and an A2 was like a A- or something.

I suppose the abbreviations are well known in England?

Ah, that's alright. Nah, they're not very well known by most students in England either. There's an explanation of them on the front page of most marking schemes for other papers though, which is why I know what they mean.

Anywho, best not to trouble yourself with this sort of thing! The examiners know how they work and will reward you fairly. :tongue:
Reply 1037
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Also, best of luck to all taking STEP I tomorrow (and II, later in the week)!

Thank you! :woo:
[QUOTE=sweeneyrod;65727963] Anyone else not doing STEP I?

Me:s-smilie:

By the time I realised that I should probably give it so that Cambridge has something else to look at if I miss my condition, it was too late, registration had closed, and I was left lamenting my stupidity
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1039
This all feels so surreal. Months of preparation all culminating into the next week, starting from tomorrow.

Good luck to all of you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending