The Student Room Group

starting to lose the motivation to revise

I'm half way through my exams and I feel exhausted help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by smgrande

Me to I am sick to death of revision as well as exhausted but it had to be done as it will be well worth it when you get your results in August. The only thing that motivates me is that once I finish the exams I am free to do whatever I want so just 17 more days.
Original post by smgrande

I feel absolutely exhausted as well, even if I get 8/9 hours sleep.:frown:
Just remember that it will all be over in a few weeks, and then you can enjoy your long summer!
Best of luck!:biggrin:
Reply 3
Yeah, I feel the same way. The weather doesn't help either. I just think about the holidays and how great they will be and that usually gives me a boost to open the books.. good luck to you
Reply 4
Original post by sunshine774
I feel absolutely exhausted as well, even if I get 8/9 hours sleep.:frown:
Just remember that it will all be over in a few weeks, and then you can enjoy your long summer!
Best of luck!:biggrin:

Good luck to you too and it's literally the same for me. :smile:
Original post by eliwats
Yeah, I feel the same way. The weather doesn't help either. I just think about the holidays and how great they will be and that usually gives me a boost to open the books.. good luck to you

The summer holidays is the only thing that motivates me!
I stopped revising a long time ago. Started my own online business instead and I'm now learning about how to do stuff in the real world. Lucky I got a unconditional offer at my uni!
Reply 7
Thanks and good luck:smile:

Spoiler

Just remember we are all feeling like that atm!

Be grateful that you have another whole week to revise (i.e. cram) so make the most of it! :wink:
I literally haven't revised anything since last friday, Haven't even touched a book. Watched a few math videos here and there, but nver ideally met the plan I've stuck to for revision since that friday.
i've literally lost the will to even touch a book. I really need motivation. those ''motivational videos to study' on youtube aren't much help either. neither is my untidy surroundings. Or my animal like family (u know what i mean).
for the mock exams, i was so energetic, yes- i procrastinated then... but I still managed to revise.
This procrastination, now, is on a whole other level. I have like 6 days of free time to revise for an exam. And instead I use it to watch supernatural and youtubers.
I've tried lots of things, like website blocker etc. But's not that hard to uninstall them in like 3 seconds.
It's like I don't realise at the time when I watch a stupid video like 'what's inside an ore' and how I could watch a billion times in my long ass summer holiday.
Is anyone going through this too?
or is that just me.
help me someone
Original post by amanii_ox
I literally haven't revised anything since last friday, Haven't even touched a book. Watched a few math videos here and there, but nver ideally met the plan I've stuck to for revision since that friday.
i've literally lost the will to even touch a book. I really need motivation. those ''motivational videos to study' on youtube aren't much help either. neither is my untidy surroundings. Or my animal like family (u know what i mean).
for the mock exams, i was so energetic, yes- i procrastinated then... but I still managed to revise.
This procrastination, now, is on a whole other level. I have like 6 days of free time to revise for an exam. And instead I use it to watch supernatural and youtubers.
I've tried lots of things, like website blocker etc. But's not that hard to uninstall them in like 3 seconds.
It's like I don't realise at the time when I watch a stupid video like 'what's inside an ore' and how I could watch a billion times in my long ass summer holiday.
or is that just me.
help me someone

Have you tried tough love with yourself? You sound a lot like me. Eventually you just have to think how disappointed you're going to be on results day that you didn't work harder. You need the fear or failing or doing worse than you want/need. Also worth remembering your grades are going to be on your CV for the rest of your life so you don't want to be regretting them...
Reply 11
or is that just me.
help me someone

I'm exactly the same, been watching Vsauce and so many simply meaningless YouTube videos, sitting on Facebook and Instagram even though nothing is even happening. I try to turn my phone off but I just end up staring at the wall or doodling. It's really pissing me off. Plus my surroundings piss me off too, I don't have a desk to study at, instead I use my bedside table thing, and there are always dogs barking. Why are there always dogs barking...

I have an 11 day break between my previous exam and my next one, and for the past idek how many days I've been procrastinating to the next level. I think this is because my previous exam really didn't go very well.
Original post by infairverona
Have you tried tough love with yourself? You sound a lot like me. Eventually you just have to think how disappointed you're going to be on results day that you didn't work harder. You need the fear or failing or doing worse than you want/need. Also worth remembering your grades are going to be on your CV for the rest of your life so you don't want to be regretting them...

that was actually real useful, thanks. :smile:

I thnik it's lil motivtional here and there that will encourage us all to keep going, thank god for TSR
Doesn't matter how you feel, just keep doing stuff.

You're not going to be 100% motivated all the time and you're not gonna be in the mood to revise, but you have to get over your emotions and just do it.

Good luck with your exams. I can't tell you how much I regret my B in Biology GCSE because Gossip Girl was being marathoned on TV and I wanted to paint my nails. It's not worth it, trust me!
Good luck with your exams. I can't tell you how much I regret my B in Biology GCSE because Gossip Girl was being marathoned on TV and I wanted to paint my nails. It's not worth it, trust me!

I got a B in biology and physics. I know how u feel too. Weirdly knowing that u feel the same way just reminded me there's like so many more ppl who went through it!!!!
Someone make an official thread called 'MOTIVATION 2016' and it all has to be about motivational quotes and lil things to keep us all going!! and everyone contributes to it
Original post by cnutuk
I'm exactly the same, been watching Vsauce and so many simply meaningless YouTube videos, sitting on Facebook and Instagram even though nothing is even happening. I try to turn my phone off but I just end up staring at the wall or doodling. It's really pissing me off. Plus my surroundings piss me off too, I don't have a desk to study at, instead I use my bedside table thing, and there are always dogs barking. Why are there always dogs barking...

I have an 11 day break between my previous exam and my next one, and for the past idek how many days I've been procrastinating to the next level. I think this is because my previous exam really didn't go very well.

You are probably procrastinating because you're not actually relaxing. You're doing stuff that isn't revision but in your mind you're thinking 'I need to revise' so you're not properly relaxed watching Youtube, FB etc. If you have 11 days and you've done sufficient revision up until now, I suggest taking an afternoon or a day off. Don't think about revision. DON'T mindlessly spend the day watching Youtube or scrolling Facebook. Have a bath, go for a long walk, watch a movie or read a book, go out for dinner, have an early night. Then the next day start revising again.

You seem to have time and this works really well for me. Few people would be able to stay motivated to study all day every day for that period of time and if you're working efficiently when you are studying, there's no real need to do that either. Relax PROPERLY for a short period of time and then get back to it, you'll feel like you've had a proper break and hopefully will be able to focus better!

I got a B in biology and physics. I know how u feel too. Weirdly knowing that u feel the same way just reminded me there's like so many more ppl who went through it!!!!

It's definitely common. Exams aren't easy, it's hard to focus all day every day for an extended period of time. You need proper breaks, rest, ideally good nutrition. And when you've given up and find yourself scrolling you just need to remember how much you will regret getting a grade that is beneath you. I've done A levels, a law degree, and am halfway through my law master's degree, and I still regret Biology. It's just not worth the Youtube and Facebook and Instagram scrolling, and if you get a bad grade you've only let yourself down!
You are probably procrastinating because you're not actually relaxing. You're doing stuff that isn't revision but in your mind you're thinking 'I need to revise' so you're not properly relaxed watching Youtube, FB etc. If you have 11 days and you've done sufficient revision up until now, I suggest taking an afternoon or a day off. Don't think about revision. DON'T mindlessly spend the day watching Youtube or scrolling Facebook. Have a bath, go for a long walk, watch a movie or read a book, go out for dinner, have an early night. Then the next day start revising again.

You seem to have time and this works really well for me. Few people would be able to stay motivated to study all day every day for that period of time and if you're working efficiently when you are studying, there's no real need to do that either. Relax PROPERLY for a short period of time and then get back to it, you'll feel like you've had a proper break and hopefully will be able to focus better!

It's definitely common. Exams aren't easy, it's hard to focus all day every day for an extended period of time. You need proper breaks, rest, ideally good nutrition. And when you've given up and find yourself scrolling you just need to remember how much you will regret getting a grade that is beneath you. I've done A levels, a law degree, and am halfway through my law master's degree, and I still regret Biology. It's just not worth the Youtube and Facebook and Instagram scrolling, and if you get a bad grade you've only let yourself down!

Thankyou! :smile: now i'm going to log off, shut down this laptop, take a shower and prepare for tomorrow! i think i know what i'm doing now

Quick Reply

Latest