The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Combined Honours at Newcastle Uni

Hi, I am thinking about studying Combined Honours at the University of Newcastle. I am interested in knowing if Combined Honours entails too much work and I am also interested in knowing what people think of Combined Honours at Newcastle uni, all opinions are welcome.
Thanks.
Original post by existential
Hi, I am thinking about studying Combined Honours at the University of Newcastle. I am interested in knowing if Combined Honours entails too much work and I am also interested in knowing what people think of Combined Honours at Newcastle uni, all opinions are welcome.
Thanks.

Hi,

I didn't do Combined Honours but I had a few friends who did so I'll do my best to answer your questions. Combined Honours students take the same number of credits as other Undergraduate degrees so you don't have more work than other courses. However, you need to switch between the different subjects so you need to be able to keep your schedule organised. What subjects were you thinking of taking?

If you want to get in touch with some current Combined students you could try the Combined Honours Society on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/223120107698366/ :smile:

Persephone
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

I didn't do Combined Honours but I had a few friends who did so I'll do my best to answer your questions. Combined Honours students take the same number of credits as other Undergraduate degrees so you don't have more work than other courses. However, you need to switch between the different subjects so you need to be able to keep your schedule organised. What subjects were you thinking of taking?

If you want to get in touch with some current Combined students you could try the Combined Honours Society on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/223120107698366/ :smile:

Persephone

Hi,
Thank you for your reply! I'm thinking about taking English Literature, French and Education! I am worried about being organised with the workload and I'm also worried about the entry requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by existential
Thanks.

I did not get on with staff in Combined. The work load was manageable but you only take half the credits from each subject so you're behind going into second year. I had a module clash with history and English that Combined couldn't fix and it was required to take a module the following year so I couldn't take 2 modules I wanted. When I went to open day, the staff said clashes were easy to fix and rare but I had them all 3 years! Second year was hard. My module leader thought everyone took the same modules in first year so I felt I didn't know a lot of the things they talked about and the other students who just took History did. But the History school was fast to answer emails which was well good. Some people liked Combined but It was hard for me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jack529
I did not get on with staff in Combined. The work load was manageable but you only take half the credits from each subject so you're behind going into second year. I had a module clash with history and English that Combined couldn't fix and it was required to take a module the following year so I couldn't take 2 modules I wanted. When I went to open day, the staff said clashes were easy to fix and rare but I had them all 3 years! Second year was hard. My module leader thought everyone took the same modules in first year so I felt I didn't know a lot of the things they talked about and the other students who just took History did. But the History school was fast to answer emails which was well good. Some people liked Combined but It was hard for me.

Thanks so much for your reply! I did apply for combined at Newcastle and got an offer but I decided against it as I knew I would rather do a straight English degree at Uni of Leeds as I thought there would be less complications :smile:
Many thanks for the advice though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending