The Student Room Group

Funding Query

Hi, I am a mature student age 25 applying for Student Finance to study a course with tuition fees of £4000. I am wondering whether there are any government schemes/grants available to me in order to support my current financial commitments e.g rent, council tax, utility bill etc, as I will only be able to work a part-time job whilst studying. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Aaron2511
Hi, I am a mature student age 25 applying for Student Finance to study a course with tuition fees of £4000. I am wondering whether there are any government schemes/grants available to me in order to support my current financial commitments e.g rent, council tax, utility bill etc, as I will only be able to work a part-time job whilst studying. Thanks.

If you have lived in the UK for 5 years before your course starts, you will be studying full-time at a UK university and you don't already have a degree, then you will probably qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan. Grants have been phased out.

Get an estimate of your entitlement here:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

As you are 25 you will be assessed as an independent student and your household income during your degree will be considered zero. Your part-time wages are not taken into account.

Apply online here:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

As a full-time student, you will not pay Council Tax. Your uni will provide an exemption certificate after you enrol. Your Council Tax payments will be stopped and anything paid since the start date of your degree will be refunded.
Original post by Aaron2511

Can you confirm what level of study this course is? You posted this initially in the A levels forum - for FE level courses there is a lot less support available than for university level courses.
Reply 3
Ah - good point. My advice above specifically applies to uni study only.

If you're doing a lower level course then you may be able to get the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan for the tuition fees, but there's no help for living costs. Your best bet is to ask your college how other mature students manage.

You won't get Student Finance for a course which is at a level lower than uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending